PDA

View Full Version : Moving a project into a new template

RafeRedmond
2008-06-17, 10:33 PM
I have just created a new template that I would like to copy/move a partially completed project into. Has anyone done this? What is the best way to move a project while keeping the model and all its components intact?

davidcobi
2008-06-17, 10:52 PM
You could link the model into an empty (new template) project file and just BIND the link to the new project file.

Rick Houle
2008-06-18, 01:02 PM
NOT A BIG FAN of moving Revit models from one file to another... or moving them at all.
BIM likes to stay where you first build it. But of course, the need arises.

I like the "BIND" suggestion you just got. I never tried that (since i try to never do this) but i will next time i have the need - definitely.

If i had to move something that already exists in one file to another file, the first thing i would do is set up my levels in the new file to match exactly the levels of the old file.
Then, set up the phases of the new file to match exactly any unique phases in the old.
Then, not cry about the annotation (unless you want to copy-paste it later).

I just tried the BIND approach, and levels are duplicated and unreferenced, phases did not transfer, nor did annotation... just mind that stuff. I'm not sure of other things to watch for...

Andre Carvalho
2008-06-18, 02:12 PM
I just tried the BIND approach, and levels are duplicated and unreferenced...

Bind will duplicate levels and grids only if you select to include them at the Bind Link Options dialog box.

Andre Carvalho

patricks
2008-06-18, 03:04 PM
Yeah I just tried to bind a separate building model into another building model file, and I was pretty ticked when the entire building came in on the same phase and the same workset, when I actually had tons of existing and new stuff, and 3 different worksets.

I suppose I can understand the worksets part (everything comes in on the active workset), but binded elements really should retain their phase created and phase demolished information. It was a huge pain trying to go through views with overlapping existing (demolished) and new stuff, trying to change the phases of the elements accordingly.

scgillin.182228
2008-06-18, 10:23 PM
Try using the"Transfer Project Standards" from the file menu. Instead of moving the Model to the template it moves the template to the Model.

SCShell
2008-06-19, 02:00 PM
Try using the"Transfer Project Standards" from the file menu. Instead of moving the Model to the template it moves the template to the Model.

Put me down for this method too. I use this method when I upgrade to a new build in Revit and have to tweek my Template. Only, don't forget, you need to open a new project with the new template so that you have two projects open. Then you can transfer project standards from the new to the old project and everything should clean up nicely. You may have a few issues; however, they are usually minor.

Good Luck
Steve

marine.maroukian
2008-06-24, 07:43 PM
Transfer project standards will bring only the "settings" of the template. You will not be able to bring other families, views, legends or schedules.

Rick Houle
2008-06-24, 11:22 PM
Bind will duplicate levels and grids only if you select to include them at the Bind Link Options dialog box.

Andre Carvalho

So, if the levels in the destination file are set to match then all the content will be hosted properly?

Andre Carvalho
2008-06-25, 01:56 PM
So, if the levels in the destination file are set to match then all the content will be hosted properly?

Yes it will be hosted properly. However, if the destination file levels are set to match those from the linked file, the you don't have to bring levels from the linked file when binding. Bringing levels, will make Revit create them at the exactly same height but will rename them differently.

Andre Carvalho