PDA

View Full Version : Reveal issues

tim.101799
2008-06-18, 12:59 PM
In a current project I have en exterior wall with an EIFS finish. At the top and bottom of the wall there are EIFS accent bands that stand 1.5” proud of the main wall face. The assembly of this wall in Revit consists on 8” CMU with 1.5” of EIFS on top. To create the accent bands I added top and bottom sweeps that are 1.5” thick. I also set these sweeps to be cutable. So far so good. But there are also vertical reveals roughly every 3 feet on center that need to cut the main wall face and the accent band sweeps. But when I use the Host Sweep-Wall reveal tool, the reveals only cut the main wall face, not the accent bands. Can reveals cut wall sweeps?

As a fall back I can always use some in-place voids

Rick Houle
2008-06-18, 01:12 PM
My quick test results in a NO also.
A Reveal does not cut through a Sweep. Would be nice if someone could counter that.

I was already thinking your "fall back" option is the best (and perhaps only) option.

aaronrumple
2008-06-18, 01:54 PM
For this particular design I would use line based generic families for the sweeps. These will be much simpler to copy and move around to line up with the vertical reveals.

Sweeps work well when they run the length of the wall. But when they don't - you'll find yourself constantly fixing them each time you edit the wall.

I would not use in-place family voids. These are very hard to control and tend to get "lost" in a project. After all - you can't see them.

Rick Houle
2008-06-18, 02:03 PM
Line based sweeps. Good idea. I have used plenty of line based trim, guess it's the same thing. Interesting.

This definitely would beat looking around for lost voids... ugh.