PDA

View Full Version : C3D, local working folders, sheetset, and vault

ralphsanchez
2008-06-18, 04:14 PM
Does anyone have a proven practice for using sheet sets with vault? I personally prefer data shortcuts for the type of project work that we do, but I've inherited a project that lives in vault. The team that originally set it up has created sheets using plan production tools so that seems to have forced the DST file into the vault as well. Since the team also uses individual local working folders, there isn't a method to make sheet sets work that's completely evident to me. I've contemplated switching to a shared network working folder and/or leaving the "sheet files" in a share outside of vault but is this the best method?

Again, in summary:
* "Base" files live in vault
* "Sheet" files live in vault
* DST files live in vault
* each user uses their own local working folder

Harold Pei Jr
2008-06-18, 05:20 PM
The only problem I see is that everyone has seperate working folders. Move them to the same one on a network drive, this will ensure that everyone is on the same page when it comes to the .dst file.

rjairath
2008-09-11, 09:44 PM
if you enforce consitent name for working folder the sheet set will work fine, once each person check out the file to their working folder

Harold Pei Jr
2008-09-11, 11:14 PM
if you enforce consitent name for working folder the sheet set will work fine, once each person check out the file to their working folder

The thing is, what if someone doesn't check it in? Not just the .dst file, but any file.
With one central working folder, you can save the drawing in the working folder aside, unlock the check out through admin rights, then check in the file afterwards to save the changes to Vault.

rjairath
2008-09-16, 02:40 PM
we thought about the whoel check in .. and teh Cad manager can monitor taht and ask the peopl in th group to always check in their work

there are only 4 people in our work group

Harold Pei Jr
2008-09-16, 05:20 PM
Seems to be easier for groups with less than 10 people.
Our problem is that we have about 40 on Vault, 10 in one office, one in another office, 3 in another office, and the last bunch in yet another office. Doesn't sound too bad, but seeing as how the closest office is on another island, and the last office mentioned is over 5000 miles away, it presents a little problem with someone has something checked out and is sick the day someone needs it.
And that's not a hypothetical, it actually happend a few times :cry:
So I guess depending on your set up, individual working folders work.