PDA

View Full Version : 2009 won't read 2008 linked files?

dace.campbell.001
2008-06-18, 06:18 PM
One of our staff is using Revit Architecture 2009. He has received a model created in Revit Architecture 2008, with links to files created in Revit Structure 2008 and Revit MEP 2008.

The arch file opens (after an automatic conversion), but won’t load the linked files.
The struc and MEP files won’t open at all in Revit Architecture 2009.

Is this a known issue/bug, or are we doing something wrong? Is there anything we can do, either directly or as a work-around, to be able to open the struc and MEP files? The authors of the files all use Revit 2008, and are unable/unwilling to upgrade to 2009 at this time.

Thanks,
Dace

adb
2008-06-19, 12:42 PM
In Revit arch 2009 I have opened a 2008 arch file that had mep2008 and struct2008 links. The arch file upgraded normaly and the struct and mep file upgraded with a message stating that they were temporarily being upgraded so that they could show up in my file. Everything loaded and looked normal.

In the past I have run into the issue that if there is something wrong in the linked files (review warnings) that the linked files will not upgrade properly.

I have already seen some posts from users that before they upgraded they checked the revit warnings in 2008 and found no issues. However, when they upgrade the same project to 2009 they recieve some warning messages and some items either get moved or deleted all together.

Maybe it is an issue of something wrong in the linked files that 2008 sees as ok but 2009 sees as an error. In that case arch 2009 may have difficulty upgrading and linking the files that it found errors in.

Have you at least had your 2088struct and 2008mep people do a review warnings?

Just as a test, make copies of the struct and mep file and upgrade them in arch2009 and see what kind of errors you get.

Sorry I don't have THE answer but I wanted to throw these ideas out since you have not gotten any responses yet.

clog boy
2008-06-19, 12:57 PM
Also have them open their files with Audit checked, I suggest you do the same with your arch file.Might as well be good for nothing but you won't know until you try.

Elmo
2008-06-27, 07:41 AM
I have had one upgrade problem but it was with Revit running out of memory because it was trying to upgrade the other files as well. I found that if you upgrade the linked files first then you have less problems.