PDA

View Full Version : HOW DO I CONNECT STEEL BEAM/COLUMN

gary m. schafer
2008-06-19, 08:39 AM
I've attached doc showing gap that happens when I try to join
the beam to the column. Why is this happening and is there
anything that I can do to fix the joint.

Steve_Stafford
2008-06-19, 02:10 PM
Beams and columns do not automatically join to imitate the built condition, coped or otherwise.

It is this way as a performance consideration and an assumption/expectation that you will use typical details (often 2D) to explain how they are truly connected. That and it may be information provided by your structural design team be they in the same firm or an external consultant, someone "else's" work/responsibility in other words.

Coping the connection is a feature that is available on a per connection basis in Revit Structure but it has not been extended to Revit Architecture. Perhaps it will in the future considering in many cases the architect wants to present the idea in first place. Making it look real is important to "us" too! More info than you wanted but you are not going crazy, at least not about that... :smile:

patricks
2008-06-19, 02:22 PM
Beams don't usually touch columns in real life anyway. There are usually weld plates on the column with holes that bolt to holes in the column, with a small gap to allow for expansion and contraction. I would guess that's why Revit acts that way.

gary m. schafer
2008-06-20, 07:33 AM
Thanks Steve and Patrick

I guess you're right that they don't meet in real life, makes sense. At least I now know thati I'm not missing something.