PDA

View Full Version : Slab Edges - Tagging

Chad Smith
2008-06-19, 11:58 PM
Is it not possible to tag Slab Edges? :roll:

Adam Mac
2008-06-20, 03:09 AM
Hi All -

Could anybody please tell me definitively whether or not it is possible to tag slab edges? As usual (....!) the "help" documentation - and I use that description very loosely - doesn't say you can't but actually imples that you can. (..the fact that a slab edge can have a Mark).

If in fact it is possible, why, when i attempt to use the "tag" command, can I not even pick the slab edge?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

Adam :?

Chad Smith
2008-06-20, 03:36 AM
I only asked the same question (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=857501#post857501) earlier today. It does seem like an unusual limitation.
Looks like the two threads have been merged.

Just to add to your comment Adam, it also doesn't give the functionality of being able to create a Slab Edge Schedule much purpose without any object tags.

Mark James
2008-06-20, 04:00 AM
Unfortunately, any element that is created via the host sweep command is not taggable (unless you use a material tag).
However, you can use a keynote.

Adam Mac
2008-06-20, 04:00 AM
Yes - agree with you Chad......

it frustrates me sometimes that simple questions like this aren't addressed in the help documentation......

I want to tag them for footing layout purposes as they seem to be a lot easier than using foundation slabs and tagging them - which is what I have been doing.

Anybody...?

m20roxxers
2008-06-20, 04:55 AM
What about Material Tags?

I know it's abit of a pain but they do work on slab edges and will update when the slab edge updates.

Also since the material is a type parameter when the size changes the tags will update.

just a suggestion....

Chad Smith
2008-06-20, 05:15 AM
Material Tags could work, but;
A: it is an ilogical method for new users. This will just get them confused.
B: is a no better option than using just 'dumb' text. Having to create a multitude of materials to represent a mark/description is just as dissociative as using 'dumb' text.

Using Keynoting is better, but since this project I am currently working on has a multitude of slab edges on all the balconies that aren't an office 'standard' it isn't a practical approach. On the next project there will no doubt be a completely different set of slab edge profiles used. So filling a keynote file is not a convienient move.

m20roxxers
2008-06-20, 05:37 AM
Yeah I know what you mean, they are nice workaround for what should be a simple solution. slab edge tags.

If only Foundations had the same abilities as Beams.

The only other thing is changing beam profiles to work as slab edges the advantage being they can be drawn rather then using place then extending the ends like foundations and they can be tagged. Too bad Architecture doesn't have curved beams and it would have beem completely solved. Faster then foundations not as fast as slab edges but I have used them multiple times and they get the job done.

Again just suggestions..

Adam Mac
2008-06-20, 10:45 PM
While keynoting is an option - you can't Schedule a keynote can you?
Keeping in mind that I may have already scheduled many other "taggable" foundations and have them shown in a schedule together, so I wouldn't want a separate keynote block/table (whatever they're called).