PDA

View Full Version : Toposurface

greg.gebert978266
2008-06-23, 03:38 PM
We have a project where the civil dwg is not 3D (I don't know why, we have civil 3D). We do however have a dwg with 2D contour lines. So we went in and created a toposurface and traced these contour lines with the correct elevation differences. We have found that Revit does not follow the lines exactly as we traced them. Revit is making the lines jump way off of the intended track. We really want the toposurface to follow the contour lines exactly. Is this possible?

jeffh
2008-06-23, 05:11 PM
Because of the way Revit triangulates the toposurface the only way to get close to the lines on the DWG is to add more points. The more points you add along the path of the contour the more accuratly Revit will triangulate the surface.

You could also edit the contours in ACAD and place them in 3d space and then import the DWG file. Then the imported DWG can be used to generate the toposurface. This typically will get the contours much closer to the original DWG contour line than adding points by hand.

greg.gebert978266
2008-06-23, 05:51 PM
The idea of editing the dwg makes total sense. I'm am finding it harder and harder to switch the way I think back and forth between the two programs. Thanks for the input!!!

j_starko
2008-06-23, 06:13 PM
I found I had to add more points and more points to get my revit contour lines to match one of the site dwg's that my civil consultant gave me too. I'm not sure what they used to make their topo lines, but when I entered the same datum points I got similar results to what you were describing.

at first I thought ... hmm . It must be them . revit is perfect. hehe.

greg.gebert978266
2008-06-23, 07:40 PM
We went into AutoCAD and adjusted the "z" coordinate for the contour polylines appropriately and it work perfect.

Tyveka
2008-06-23, 07:45 PM
Unfortunately, we have not had the same successes of integrating 3D AutoCAD civil files with the Revit interface for creating sites.

Our experiences have just driven home the need for a more robust set of tools in Revit that deal with site work.

Please Autodesk, update and improve the site capabilities in Revit!

Thank you!

greg.gebert978266
2008-06-24, 02:07 PM
Unfortunately, we have not had the same successes of integrating 3D AutoCAD civil files with the Revit interface for creating sites.

Our experiences have just driven home the need for a more robust set of tools in Revit that deal with site work.

Please Autodesk, update and improve the site capabilities in Revit!

Thank you!

I am sure in the future we are going to attempting to import Civil 3D files. What issues have you been noticing when doing this? Any tips or tricks are appreciated.