PDA

View Full Version : Garage Door

rshank3499
2008-06-23, 06:25 PM
I am a new ACA 2008 user and I am try to figure out how to make a custom garage door with some panels and window openings. I am not quite sure how to do this. Can anyone help me to figure out how to create a door style to do this. Thanks in advance for any help

Dommy2Hotty
2008-06-23, 11:14 PM
Not saying this is the only way, but, I suggest taking a look at www.Archidigm.com. They have a Garage Door Style product that you can purchase, if you so choose, and then reverse engineer. That is what I did with their 'Fences' kit. I've also purchased their 'Streets' kit and have been very happy with my decision to do so. They also have a good Tips section.

That being said, create a 3D block that represents what you want your door to look like. Edit your door style, go the the 'Display Properties' tab, and attach a 'Style Override' for the 'Model' display representation. Click the 'Other' tab in the 'Door Style Override' window, and then click 'Add.' Select your block using the button on the top left and check the box next to 'Leaf Component.' Also, you'll need to play around with the 'Insertion Point' and 'Insertion Offset' to get your block in the correct position.

Once this is complete, go back to the 'Layer/Color/Linetype' tab and turn off the 'Panel' component. You'll also see your blockname at the bottom of the list.

I could email you one that I've made. It looks like this:

H-Angus
2008-06-23, 11:24 PM
Can you attach an image or a dwg file made with lines/plines, of what you require in elevation?

rshank3499
2008-06-24, 02:29 PM
Can you attach an image or a dwg file made with lines/plines, of what you require in elevation?

Here is a drawing of the door I want to make. I also want to make it in 3 segments instead of the default 5

H-Angus
2008-06-24, 05:15 PM
Here is a drawing of the door I want to make. I also want to make it in 3 segments instead of the default 5

I don't know how to change it to a 3 sectional up and over door instead of a 5 (not sure that you actually can). Does it matter? When shown in an open position it is based on an open percentage rather than the sections.

Here's a door I created based on your elevation, is that what you are after?

EDIT:

I'm guessing you want it in three sections because of the depth of the glazed panels, how about having a double side hung garage door? Just a thought. ;)

rshank3499
2008-06-24, 06:31 PM
Thank you for your help. It isn't quite working though, when I apply the style to my doors they disappear in model and elevation.

H-Angus
2008-06-24, 06:41 PM
Thank you for your help. It isn't quite working though, when I apply the style to my doors they disappear in model and elevation.

That will probably be due to scale and units.

Try this file which has been scaled and converted to imperial units.