PDA

View Full Version : 2 hatches 1 wall?

scz
2008-06-24, 08:55 PM
I have a wall spanning the 1st and 2nd storeys with a soldier course Sweep at the 2nd Floor Level.

Is it possible to use a standard brick hatch above the soldier course and a CMU hatch below?

Plan B is to use a different wall altogether for the 1st floor.

davidcobi
2008-06-24, 09:01 PM
We would just use two separate walls.
You could use a stacked wall (which is like two separate walls)

Daniel Chapman
2008-06-24, 11:31 PM
Unless I am missing something, would you not just use the split face tool?
Then you can hatch each area as you choose

davidcobi
2008-06-24, 11:55 PM
You can use the split face tool if the two walls are the same construction with different finishes but a CMU wall and a Brick wall have different dimensions and we have to think of how our walls look in section too.

luigi
2008-06-25, 03:43 AM
If the face of brick is flush with the face of block, you can define the wall to have 2 different materials.
So although you could use the split face, it is a route I don't consider, unless you have only 1 or 2 walls...and even then there are better methods.

I would suggest considering defining the wall to have a material on the bottom part of the wall, and a top part of the wall....by editing the wall's structure....changing the preview to section, and by splitting the layer of the wall at a specific height...you probably want to add the soldier course sweep in the wall profile also (either with a sweep, or just by dividing the layer into 3 areas - brick, soldier course, and block below.)

Is both the brick and cmu a veneer? so if the backing is the same, say cold formed metal framing, then I would suggest this method.

The other method you suggested is ok also....having 2 seperate walls.

I have a wall spanning the 1st and 2nd storeys with a soldier course Sweep at the 2nd Floor Level.

Is it possible to use a standard brick hatch above the soldier course and a CMU hatch below?

Plan B is to use a different wall altogether for the 1st floor.

scz
2008-06-25, 12:23 PM
David, Daniel, and Luigi-

Thanks for the input.

Split face was recommended for very limited use by another source as well, though I'm not sure why. There are 18 exterior wall faces to this building, so I'll try editing the assembly.

The "CMU" is actually a 8x16 brick veneer, so it will be flush with the modular brick. I just figured for the moment that the CMU hatch would work.

Again, thanks!

luigi
2008-06-25, 06:21 PM
Split face was recommended for very limited use by another source as well, though I'm not sure why.

Split face is a really cool feature, but it is finnicky (is that a word?) Sometimes changes to the element will cause the split face to be deleted...not good when that happens and you have relied on it for documentation, etc. it doesn't automatically flex with the element, so you will have to add constraints to make sure it behaves properly...adding complexity....and sometimes all that work is to waste...because revit may want it gone to fix other issues. It's subjective, but with reasons.