PDA

View Full Version : I want to do these four things. Any ideas?

dpasa
2004-09-16, 06:05 AM
I am quite new to Revit. I just discovered that with Revit you can finish a simple building in one day. I really needed that!

Now I try to make a more complex project. I send you an older project rendered with Accurender and AutoCAD. You can see the 4 points where I need help.

Thanks in advance for your time.

P.S. I remind you, new to Revit. Please be patient.

beegee
2004-09-16, 07:25 AM
1. Gable End.

I would model that as a wall, setting the bottom level at the ceiling level and making the height explicit to finish above the roof. Then select the wall, attach top and select the roof.

2. Parapet Roof.

Again, I would model that as a wall, complete with curved segment and a hosted sweep reveal. Make the explicit height to suit or attach the top to a reference plane.

3. Planter & Surround.

Walls again with a floor for the top slab. Make it all out the same materials so you can join geometry.

4. Stepped Balustrade and Railing.

The stepped part can be modeled as a wall with its profile edited to create the steps. If the railing is exactly like the one on the upper level, you could try using that again. It might look OK if its partly "buried" in the stepped solid. If it doesn't work that way, you would need to either create specific sections of railing or else model some sweeps to get the joining portions of the railing.

dpasa
2004-09-16, 10:29 AM
Thanks beegee.

Everything ok except No1. There is no roof behind. Just this wall.
To be more specific the real problem is that I can't have a sweep following the wall profile.
When I choose wall sweep I have only two options. When I tried with mass elements I saw that the path should be 2D. So if the wall had one more turn it would be impossible.

So, let me ask again: How do we make a sweep that follows the wall profile?

sohocad
2004-09-16, 10:58 AM
here one to get you started....

dpasa
2004-09-16, 03:47 PM
Thank you SohoCad

It's very nice to see that I can do this in Revit.

I guess the answer to my question is "NO", I can't have a sweep or reveal following a wall profile. I see you are using a family. I would prefer to see something more flexible, that means to be able to change the profile of sweep and the size etc...

Steve_Stafford
2004-09-16, 04:31 PM
...the answer to my question is "NO", I can't have a sweep or reveal following a wall profile... Sure you can...

sfaust
2004-09-16, 06:42 PM
is that an in place family or is it actually a wall sweep? If it's a wall sweep, how'd you do it?

Steve_Stafford
2004-09-16, 07:19 PM
is that an in place family or is it actually a wall sweep? If it's a wall sweep, how'd you do it? The curved top of the wall and the horizontal pieces...are one in-place family with several swept solids using a common profile family. Not sure how the curve cap would get built in the field but it looks "nice" :roll: I suppose it could get pre-cast on it's side and placed in the field later...huh?

My point was you can create shapes that follow a "profile".

sfaust
2004-09-16, 07:33 PM
ok, I know how to do that, but it almost sounded like you were able to just use wall sweep and get it which is something I haven't been able to do, so I was about to be impressed! Still a good and very workable solution.

beegee
2004-09-16, 09:55 PM
ok, I know how to do that, but it almost sounded like you were able to just use wall sweep and get it which is something I haven't been able to do, so I was about to be impressed! Still a good and very workable solution.
Steve, I'm not sure what you mean. Steve_Stafford is using a wall sweep, but not a hosted one. It uses the "pick" option ( very fast ) for the path and loaded profiles. Its arguably as fast a process as hosted sweeps.

sohocad
2004-09-16, 10:48 PM
how about a different way of doing your wall...?

sfaust
2004-09-17, 12:04 AM
I was just meaning it's an in place family rather than the hosted wall sweep tool. IMHO not quite as fast as the hosted sweep, but yes, it's certainly still very quick. Just thought for a second that there was more functionality to the hosted wall sweep tool than I knew about, that's all.

beegee
2004-09-17, 12:59 AM
Yes it would be good if hosted sweeps allowed to pick the path as you can do for in-place sweeps. You would still need to swap out the default profile of course.