PDA

View Full Version : DWF underlay and newb questions

kathy71046
2008-06-25, 03:49 AM
Is there a way to underlay the dwf I have from a subcontractor or do I need to get him to send me the dwg files.

Sorry if it's a stupid question, I've been attempting to use revit for approx 20 hours now, and I desperately need help...

any suggestions on setting up an initial template (fonts, dims etc) would be greatly appreciated, as would any advice on how to edit the level/spot level symbols to something of a more suitable size to my project.

My typical dims and anno text are 1.5mm, and everything looks huge atm.

Titleblock conversion hints would also be great, my cad ones use fields from the sheet set, so something where I can set project info like client, address, drafty etc as well as some labels? tags? that are page specific is what I need.

If I can convince my boss that we can do something in a resonable time, then we will get the software and training, but that does mean that I need to get at least one smallish project out first.

Thanks in advance.

mruehr
2008-06-25, 08:22 AM
Hi Katika
you cant use DWF as underlay(only overlay)
It looks like your with the back to the wall
moving from Cad to Bim is more of a change than Pen to Cad
the demand of your boss is unreasonable and not logical
come to the WA Revit User Group 2nd July 2008
http://forums.aecsystems.com.au/index.php/board,9.0.html
this will be helpful but you need a template and training to get anything out
in reasonable time.
this is a great place to learn but your questions need to be more specific.

welcome to the revit world

kathy71046
2008-06-26, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the invite, and answer, the User group is akward for me as I don't finish till after 5 most days, and probably not much use until after I at least do the introductory course anyway.

I don't have to get the project perfect, just show enough to prove we can do it better in revit than ACAD, but from trying to do a little project for my buisiness, I already know that the modelling part is not going to be hard for me to learn, the annotating is a bit frustrating though.

I'll keep plodding along with my tutorial downloads and projects for now, as we are likely going to be on the next available course, and what else can I do in the meantime?

STHRevit
2008-06-26, 05:46 AM
Hi Katika,

Don't worry about coming to the user group with a limited knowledge. The only way to learn is to ask questions. There are people with all levels of Revit knowledge from very basic to very advanced. I guess the time factor is an issue, but you caould always make up the time on another day i suppose.

I find the best way to learn on Reivt is just do it!!! The more you work in it, the more you find out. I personally woork better an night, so I have a copy at my home office and just chip away at tutorials.

Autodesk will allow you to have a second copy of your license on a laptop, as long as it is not used in the office at all (very important). Check out the autodesk subscription web site. Should be listed as "manage license benefits" under the main heading of "Subscription Administration" when you log on to your subscription account.

Forums like these are also fantastic. Another good one is www.rugsyd.com.au

The demands do seem to be a little unrealistic though, the deeper you look, the more questions will arise.

Enjoy the ride.