PDA

View Full Version : Not For Construction Symbol

jacob chavez
2003-08-01, 02:28 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a handy way to make a "NOT FOR CONSTRUCTION" symbol. I've tried many ways including label fields (it leaves a ? if blank and even a period (.) is too annoying for us anal retentive architects to have on a sheet) Tried text size parameters (text won't go to "0" size in project... though it will in the family) Tried lines with subcategories (works, but takes too much time to go through every sheet and turn it off in the visibility/graphics)

The only solution I can think of is to (a) manually put it on the sheets or (b) make a new titleblock type and "select all instances" and change the type when the time comes.

If anyone has any ideas on this, I'd love to hear.

Thansks

JC

sbrown
2003-08-01, 02:51 PM
we just put a bold angled text in the space of our title block where it gets stamped. then when its time for construction we just delete it and reload our titleblock and all sheets are updated.

Nothing complex needed.

christopher.zoog51272
2003-08-01, 03:08 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a handy way to make a "NOT FOR CONSTRUCTION" symbol. I've tried many ways including label fields (it leaves a ? if blank and even a period (.) is too annoying for us anal retentive architects to have on a sheet) Tried text size parameters (text won't go to "0" size in project... though it will in the family) Tried lines with subcategories (works, but takes too much time to go through every sheet and turn it off in the visibility/graphics)

The only solution I can think of is to (a) manually put it on the sheets or (b) make a new titleblock type and "select all instances" and change the type when the time comes.

If anyone has any ideas on this, I'd love to hear.

Thansks

JC

Just so you know, you can have it blank by inserting a "No Break Space" (ALT+0160) Unicode. Look for the "blank" in the windows character map.

Z.

jacob chavez
2003-08-02, 03:06 PM
Great idea Zoog, doesn't work (Sometimes) :cry: it still leaves a ? when the "no break space" is entered into the field. I know this is no big deal, but when I can't figure out how something works it drives me nuts. So, here are my woes with this challenge:

1)With drawing sheets you can't make two "types" of a titileblock. In other words, you can't add a type parameter that can be modified when you add the label to the drawing sheet.
The only way that I can figure out how to add a type that has any useable fields is to bring in a nested family and use the nested family linking button to modify its values. However, like many families in revit (in my experience) it flexes fine while working on it in the family editor, but it doesnt work when you actually load it into a project.

I have attached the titleblock if anyone is interested.
What you are seeing is the NFC ANNOT.rvt family loaded into the titleblock family. You will see that it flexes fine (in this case zoog, the Alt+0160 does work! What gives?)

JC

gregcashen
2003-08-04, 06:39 PM
Can't you just make a titleblock and insert a label with the "Status" parameter in it where you want the note, and change that parameter to say "NOT FOR CONSTRUCTION" or whatever you want?

jbalding48677
2003-08-04, 07:51 PM
For what it is worth, we apply the NFC stamp to the left of the title block in big bold typeface, but we use grey as the color for the font. That way if there is anything below it still shows and the font is large enough to read across the room. When we don't have an issue date and note we use a ".". That makes for a small grey dot in the corner, no big deal...

HTH -

jacob chavez
2003-08-06, 01:57 AM
We decided to go the reload route. We now have two directories; one for nfc titleblocks and one for the standard. Loaded in the template is our nfc one. When req'd, we'll just reload the one without the nfc text.

Thanks for the ideas!

JC

Carl
2003-08-06, 05:13 PM
What do you guys do with the Architects Seal? Do you have it another Template "reloading" once it is ready to submitted or do you stamp once it is printed.
A while ago I searched for the legality of this but could not come up with anything.

bmadsen
2003-08-06, 08:17 PM
In our practice, some jurisdictions require a "wet stamp" and some require a "wet signature", so you need to check with your local requirements.

Since we have both requirements, sometimes we reload, sometimes we print and stamp.

GS Fulton
2003-08-08, 01:04 AM
I have settled on the following approach:

I use a group which has the Not for construction verbage (with a date) superimposed over a halftoned seal. That goes into the spot where my seal normally is on each sheet of the set. In that way, I only have to change the date once and when I go to a final set, I just delete the NFC notes and modify the seal so that it is black. Again, I only have to do it once and it changes the whole set.

George F.

christopher.zoog51272
2003-08-08, 01:17 AM
NJ requires a raised seal and a wet signiture! I feel bad for our college intern when it comes time for him to crimp 3 sets of 60 drawings :shock:

Steve_Stafford
2003-08-08, 01:18 AM
He needs an avatar of Popeye's forearms then :D