PDA

View Full Version : Structural Columns

Jun Austria
2008-06-25, 12:12 PM
Is there a way to add plaster finish on a "Structural Column"? Because I have come across one detailing in AutoCAD where I blow-up one corner of the wall where the column is visible. In reality, plaster finish is also applied on the R.C. Column in order to hide all imperfections that was created by the formwork during casting. So how to recreate this in Revit?

patricks
2008-06-25, 12:32 PM
I'm assuming this is a structural concrete column? I would just create a thin wall type with the plaster only. In our area, we would probably use gypsum board on metal furring strips (2 layers in the wall type).

Jun Austria
2008-06-25, 05:17 PM
I'm assuming this is a structural concrete column? I would just create a thin wall type with the plaster only. In our area, we would probably use gypsum board on metal furring strips (2 layers in the wall type).

Yes, its a "Structural Column". So the work around is just apply a thin wall representing the plaster finish and set it to visible only on this blow-up detail and invisible on the rest of the views. Got it. Thanks.

patricks
2008-06-25, 05:24 PM
If your walls have the same plaster finish, you could create an architectural column with dimensions based on the overall final face dimensions of the plaster. When you place that column into the wall, the plaster finish will wrap around that column. Then you could place your structural column inside that.

You could also create a structural column family with the plaster finish, but that wouldn't really be correct since the plaster is not structural, and it also would not wrap and join correctly to the plaster on your other walls.