PDA

View Full Version : "Insert" Revit file

roy.70844
2004-09-16, 10:40 AM
Hello everybody,
Is it possible to Insert one Revit project into another in a sort of Autocad-like block insert function. I can link projects at the moment, but I can't "explode" them.

Any Ideas...??

Roy.

Scott_Bloss
2004-09-16, 12:57 PM
Roy,

I do not believe it is possible to incorporate another project into your current project without linking them. I am not sure why you would want to explode them, you need to give a little more information on what you are trying to achieve. If you link the Revit project in all information changed in the linked project automatically updates in the current project.

SCShell
2004-09-16, 02:59 PM
Hi Roy,

Yes it is possible. I do it all the time with Tenant Improvement projects as well as when I do optional (major) design options which require totally different plan layouts etc. I insert a T.I. (past project usually) into an "Existing" plan view of the building shell project. And the best part is that Revit will change the phases automatically. If the T.I. was a new project a year ago, and now I past all of the walls etc. into an existing view of the shell, it re-labels all of the walls as existing! How cool is that?!
In addition, when I do this, I use the copy/paste command and Revit knows to paste it where it belongs!

Hope this helps.
Steve Shell

roy.70844
2004-09-17, 01:04 PM
Hello Scott,
This was a request by one of our clients.
I think the idea was to develop a site-plan and buildings separately, then insert the projects into the site plan then 'tweak' the building designs to suit. I suggested the cut/paste option as the only viable but there is a performance issue (oh so SLOW..) as the projects are quite large.

How do you overcome the problem of selecting all the view dependent objects (eg text, dims, room tags) to allow the cut/paste to work?

Roy

Ps thanks also to scshell - I didn't realise cut/paste would sort out phasing WELL cool!!!

Steve_Stafford
2004-09-17, 01:49 PM
...develop a site-plan and buildings separately, then insert the projects into the site plan then 'tweak' the building designs to suit... That's exactly what you do except for the last part...tweaking them in the site file. You tweak the bldg design in their own project files. Linked to the site project they will always show you the latest design.

Check out the tutorials regarding site and shared coordinates etc. The Revit linking feature is intended to let us assemble site "campus" plan projects from the various bldgs that are on our site and/or part of our project. Construction documentation is done in each bldg project and you can then link the site into the bldg project so you can show the site considerations in context.

The only weakness is if you use Design Options on the bldgs, the site project can only show the primary design option.