PDA

View Full Version : going back

johnf.77896
2008-06-26, 06:06 PM
Is there anyway to go from 2009 back to 2008 short of recreating the entire model? The project was started in 2009 but due to hardware problems- old computers, we need to go back to 2008 inorder to work on this project. Dont have time to upgrade computers right now, need to get this project moving to keep clients happy. tried to export into Acad 2007 and bring it in that way and it doesnt work. Anybody have ideas?

John Fleming

patricks
2008-06-26, 06:53 PM
Re-creating the model is your only option. There are many features in 2009 that were not available in 2008, which is why there is not an option to save backwards, as those features would no longer exist.

aaronrumple
2008-06-26, 07:18 PM
Is it just modeling?
Is there CD info?

If it is just the model you could go IFC out and IFC in.
That should give you the models, but not the views and drafting. I don't know if that would help.

johnf.77896
2008-06-26, 09:23 PM
Yes it is only modeling at this point. Thanks Aaron I will give that a try.

Thanks
John

ron.sanpedro
2008-06-27, 03:44 AM
Re-creating the model is your only option. There are many features in 2009 that were not available in 2008, which is why there is not an option to save backwards, as those features would no longer exist.

But AutoCAD has been able to save back with no problem, and there are plenty of new tools in AutoCAD each time. I think when Mtext got introduced, when you saved back you just got multiple text objects, but basically the same appearance as before. If you had an area of hatch with a gradient, it saved back as a solid hatch of the first color of the gradient. Would it really be that hard for a curved slab in 2009 that has been shape edited to just loose the shape edits when it goes back to 2008? Bummer, sure, but come on, is that really impossible to program? Perhaps so, an editable Elevation Bubble sure is beyond possible it seems. ;)
No, if Autodesk wanted to, they could and would. They don't want to because it would perhaps limit the number of upgrades they make money on (which I think is a lousy but expected attitude, from a publicly traded company) and it would take away resources that are working on other things (which I totally agree with, cause given a choice between some new site tools and saveas, I take site tools any day!)

Gordon

Elmo
2008-06-27, 06:54 AM
There is a way of "going back" so to speak. If you export to IFC you will be able to load it into a previous version of Revit. Just 1 problem though. Any new feature you used will not work and has a chance being deleted in the older version.