PDA

View Full Version : Depth in elevation (209?)

Maximillian
2008-06-27, 08:21 PM
Is there any new feature in 2009 or a recommended technique for showing depth in elevation. Does override siloets work better in 2009?

I am trying to avoid filled regions, and shadows dont seem to give the effect of depth enough.

See attached....

ron.sanpedro
2008-06-27, 09:09 PM
Is there any new feature in 2009 or a recommended technique for showing depth in elevation. Does override siloets work better in 2009?

I am trying to avoid filled regions, and shadows dont seem to give the effect of depth enough.

See attached....

I have done Override Graphics in View, selected the required elements and made them gray. I tried halftone, but you have no control over the level of screen, and it seems a little light in most situations. It also made the view slower once upon a time, but that may well be corrected. The down side is that what is screened back needs to be manually updated as new objects are added, but it does give a good look, and is less painful that Linework. I do like doing Linework to profile the overall elevation.

Gordon

Maximillian
2008-06-28, 04:32 AM
That was my first plan but my roof is all one piece and I dont want to chop it just so I can over ride parts of it grey. Oh well maybe some day there will be a line we can drag out that tells the elevations what the depth is.

Scott D Davis
2008-06-28, 06:33 AM
cut multiple sections at equal depths through the building, and set the view depth of each to match the spacing. Control each section with varying shades of grey, and then overlay on a sheet. Turn off the extra section marks in the plan.

ron.sanpedro
2008-06-29, 07:11 PM
cut multiple sections at equal depths through the building, and set the view depth of each to match the spacing. Control each section with varying shades of grey, and then overlay on a sheet. Turn off the extra section marks in the plan.

I wonder, is anyone still using the old "Plane of glass thru the building" approach? This worked pretty well, especially if you made a family for the Elevation Depth Kludge, then put it on a separate workset or design option. The nice thing was that two or three of them would progressively lighten more distant objects, and no sections to deal with.
A sneaky way to deal with the sections in Scott's approach is to set the ones that drive your depth graphics to Hide at Scales Courser Than 12"=1'. Then create a Working view of the plan at 12"=1', turn off everything but Walls and Sections, and move them around as needed. Now those sections will basically never show up anywhere but the working view, never on a sheeted view.

Gordon

Jun Austria
2008-06-30, 12:45 AM

See attached....

Call me old fashioned. But lineworks reminds me how I draw building elevations during the "manual" age. And I believe (I'm 42) its still being taught in school. And it still works for me. Any new advancement to this technique is welcome. as long as it speeds up work.

cblackford
2008-06-30, 11:29 PM
Unfortunately, no improvement in 2009 whatsoever.....53rd Verse same as the first! ;)

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=79823

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=48332&page=4

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=47550

...Just to name a few.

ron.sanpedro
2008-06-30, 11:48 PM
Unfortunately, no improvement in 2009 whatsoever.....53rd Verse same as the first! ;)

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=79823

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=48332&page=4

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=47550

...Just to name a few.

Given that Autodesk suggests we turn off openGL to deal with stability issues, and with Shadows on and openGL off Revit goes from slow to George W., I think it might have gotten marginally worse. I sacrificed a goat to the God of Graphics Subsystems (Quartzquatl) last night, asking for a rewrite. Crossed fingers. When does RAC 2010 ship again? ;)

Gordon

Scott D Davis
2008-07-01, 03:10 AM
and with Shadows on and openGL off Revit

I run my machine with open GL off, and turn shadows on all the time with out a huge hit in speed. In fact with Open GL ON and shadows on, I have the worst performance.

dbaldacchino
2008-07-01, 03:23 AM
For the first time today, I experienced the extreme slowness on a project (95MB) with OpenGL on. Regeneration when panning was atrocious. On another project (195MB), it wasn't slow. So I can't really pin-point what the deal is. On the former project, I turned off OpenGL and re-opened the project and Revit quit hesitating when regenerating.

Then I decided to go to the Dell website and install the latest display driver (Quadro NVS 120M). This driver didn't work on the BETA version (Revit wouldn't even open). Yet this time, it worked and with OpenGL on, the regen hesitation disappeared. You can still see mouse panning being slower than steering-wheel panning. I can't figure this one out either. Time for another SR I guess.

luigi
2008-07-01, 05:12 AM
One farely quick way to give depth to your elevation in 2009 (prior to 2009, since v.7, I would place shadows with edge silhouettes with a wide line....they were ok, especially since it was produced in a matter of seconds) is to select with a window region (as opposed to the crossing region) the area of your building [in plan], with this selection active, switch screens to your elevation (the selection should be still active...if not, just ctrl-left arrow) in your elevation view right mouse click, then override graphics and give it apropriate projection linestyle(if you want to control only walls, not doors, windows, curtain walls...just filter out what you don't want from your selection). Do this for all of your "projection planes", maybe maximum 3 or so...

One thing I do sometimes...only when I think it is worth the time it takes...is to do the linework tool for parts of components(rather than the whole component) that need to look deeper, or in shadow...i.e. for glass, it helps to have the top and right, or top and left edge to be darker...to illustrate depth....it may sound painfully long...but it does give a very nice effect...and compared to a manual 2d elevation it is still a piece of cake.....and if the design changes, you don't have to redraw that part of the elevation...

Anyways, this is my process...oh, and shadows on are still important for the elegance of the elevation....another tip is to possibly make the elevation a 3D View oriented to that elevation...this will allow the glass to be transparent, adding a nice touch.....you are then still able to overlay the elevation view on top of the 3D elevation view to get notes dimensions, etc. If you do this aproach, control the visibility of the projection linestyles in your 3D elevation....place them both on the sheet, and you are done....but this is even more memory intensive than providing shadows...so use it when it is worth it.

HTH, Take care!

See attached....