PDA

View Full Version : Revit to 3DS Max

aaronwsmith
2008-06-30, 05:26 AM
I have 3DS max, and i want to export from Revit into this, so do i just export as a dwg?
i'm assuming this would be the case as they are both autodesk programs.
and is there a new rendering plug in for revit that i should be aware of?
from all the threads i've been reading and seeing all these comments about how much it has improved, i'm curious as to whether there is some kind of add on needed?
by the way i'm running revit 2008.

Jun Austria
2008-06-30, 06:45 AM
I have 3DS max, and i want to export from Revit into this, so do i just export as a dwg?
i'm assuming this would be the case as they are both autodesk programs.
and is there a new rendering plug in for revit that i should be aware of?
from all the threads i've been reading and seeing all these comments about how much it has improved, i'm curious as to whether there is some kind of add on needed?
by the way i'm running revit 2008.

RA2008 to 3dsmax 2008/2009:
Set your view to 3D in Revit then export via CAD Format(dwg). Then import in 3dsmax.
Set up you're environment setting, exposure and camera then render(using Accurender).

RA2009 to 3dsmax Design 2009:
Set you're view to 3D in Revit. Then export via FBX format.
Import in 3dsmax adjust the camera and exposure then render(Using mental ray).

RA2009 and 3dsmax Design2009 are using the same promaterial settings.

If you are using 3ds max. Then you know the quality diffirence between Accurender and Mental Ray.

dpasa
2008-06-30, 01:48 PM
If there is a possibility that you change your model, use DWG because you can link the file (File link manager). When reloading, if what you change is the model and not materials then check the two checkboxes regarding scene materials (advanced settings). Sorry, I don't remember exactly the names... You can easily find it through Max help.

FBX is not my favorite....

If you have older versions of Max, (Max 9 perhaps) then you can export to obj, grouped by materials and use some standalone renderers that can really be a surprise.

cblackford
2008-06-30, 10:59 PM
You'll have to install Revit 2009 to take advantage of the FBX workflow. If you can do that, here is a good white-paper written by Brian Russell and Corey Rubadue on the subject:

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/revit2max-2009__whitepaper_final.pdf

Hope this helps.

Update: 7/11/08
Actually, I may have lied.. This methodology was working well for us with individual families and small non-complex projects. I just exported out a larger project and it is a mess when I import the FBX into Max. All of the slabs are turned into triangles, everything on 1 layer, etc. Will update if I figure out a way to improve it. For now having to go back to DWG export for immediate needs.

dpasa
2008-07-01, 05:30 AM
Just another sample made with Kerkythea.... A simple scene but difficult to do in Revit since there is no .OBJ support... The ivy is from free Ivy generator... The grass is a simple grass blade and it is made with instance brush (instances means minimum polycount).
So nice, so useful, and free!

Sometimes, professionals don't want to use these freeware apps, and I just want to say it is wrong, because there are many nice apps out there (Kerkythea, Indigo, Sunflow,Luxrender etc...all unbiased). Kerkythea is better I think, because you can render using both biased and unbiased methods, so it is very easy to have quick renderings for the client....

I am very happy to see Mental Ray in Revit, although I don't think I will use it constantly since I like Kerkythea and I own Maxwell too, but I really can't celebrate yet, because it is not even close to power and features that other renderers have.