PDA

View Full Version : Demoed ceiling grid won't DASH!

RafeRedmond
2008-06-30, 11:45 PM
I have a 2 x 2 ACT ceiling grid that is using a simple model lines pattern as a surface pattern. When I demo a ceiling of this type, the model line pattern does not become dashed, only the boundary! Does anyone have any suggestion on what I might do to get the ceiling grid lines to go dashed once demolished?

atbergma
2008-07-01, 12:37 AM
you need to use a model pattern in the material of the demo'ed ceiling that is dashed. check revit city for demo ceiling grid .pat. the linetype of hatches does not respond to phase filters. however, the lineweight/color does. this means you'll need a separate ceiling type only for the demolished ceilings.

mr6jam
2009-04-07, 06:06 PM
Revit always makes you go the extra mile and sometimes ***** slaps you lol.

patricks
2009-04-07, 09:38 PM
Note that this only works if you have a single phase. I recently ran into this where I had a project happening in 2 phases. The existing ceilings to be demolished in Phase 2 showed in my Phase 1 RCP with the same dashed model pattern. In the end I just drafted some gray lines over the dashed model pattern lines, since it was only a couple of ceilings showing that way.

Unfortunately the element graphic overrides only makes drafting patterns available for surface pattern overrides, not model patterns.

I recently filed a support request, and they basically said "maybe" it will be added as a feature in the future.

You are correct, the phasing ttols do not affect the ceiling patterns. Our development team is looking to enhance that in the near future. Perhaps filters might provide some help. You can set a filter per view and then put a comment in the ceiling type. For each view you could have the ceiling type show a certain way

To which I responded:

Filters do not work, either, as they contain the same limitation of graphic surface pattern overrides. Only drafting patterns are available for surface pattern overrides. Actually, this is the case for any override – view specific, element specific, category specific, filter specific, phase specific, anything. Only drafting patterns are available for surface pattern overrides.

This is unfortunate and somewhat limiting.

And I haven't heard anything since then.

Scott Womack
2009-04-08, 10:25 AM
Unfortunately the element graphic overrides only makes drafting patterns available for surface pattern overrides, not model patterns.

I recently filed a support request, and they basically said "maybe" it will be added as a feature in the future.

Instead of asking for the pattern Graphic override, why don't we get our heads together, and ask for the ability to Override a complete Material in a given view. That way, it would add the ability to override just a portion of an exterior wall in a view. It would also address the age-old fire-rated pattern issue, as well as a number of others I can think of. In addition, if the Material Take-off was programed to ignore the over-rides, then it would not effect that aspect of the model use.

aaronrumple
2009-04-08, 01:40 PM
Instead of asking for the pattern Graphic override, why don't we get our heads together, and ask for the ability to Override a complete Material in a given view.

Or maybe they could just make a demo'ed ceiling look the way it should - dashed. This is one of those dumb things they should have straightened out several releases ago.