PDA

View Full Version : Customizing text

bfishy69
2008-07-01, 12:12 PM
Hi guys, i'm new to Revit and am tring to customize things to suit our standards.
Does anyone know how to:
1. Change the text font and colour in a Grid bubble
2. Make the dim text a different colour to the dim line and arrows
3. Change the background to another colour other than black or white.

Many Thanks

Mr Fish

twiceroadsfool
2008-07-01, 03:25 PM
Hi guys, i'm new to Revit and am tring to customize things to suit our standards.
Does anyone know how to:
1. Change the text font and colour in a Grid bubble

You need to go in to the Grid type, and see what Grid Head family is making the bubble. Find the family in the Project Browser and hit Edit family, and change the Lable (text) in there.

2. Make the dim text a different colour to the dim line and arrows

Settings Menu > Annotations > Dimensions > go in to the style in question and edit the text settings, etc.

3. Change the background to another colour other than black or white.

Take a layer of translucent lexan (tinted the color of your choice) and drape it over the monitor. :)

Just kidding... Currently black and white are the only options for backgrounds...

Many Thanks

Mr Fish[/QUOTE]

DaveP
2008-07-01, 03:55 PM

Many Thanks

Mr Fish

Sounds to me like what you're really trying to do is make Revit look like AutoCAD.

RESIST!

Revit is, by it's nature, Black and White. Most people, when they first start using Revit, miss the AutoCAD colors, and try to make it look familiar. Give the new look a try. It will frustrate you for a week or so, but you'll quickly find out that you'll get used to it.

I agree with making your font match you company standards, but the color - no. In AutoCAD, you are probably using the color to assign a Pen weight. In Revit, you just assign Pen weights by object, or at least by Object Style. You'd be better served by playing around in the Object Styles dialog box to assign Line Weights. Colors in Revit will tend to print as grey-scale, and that's probably not what you want.

There is definitely a different mind-set associated with Revit. One of the hardest things to do is to break your old AutoCAD habits and start thinking like Revit. It's a tough hump to get over, but once you stop thinking AutoCAD, you'll see that things in Revit tend to be more logical and less abstract.

Welcome to the future!

Andre Carvalho
2008-07-01, 04:27 PM
I agree with the post above. Revit is meant to be WYSIWYG - what you see is what you get!

Andre Carvalho

twiceroadsfool
2008-07-01, 06:12 PM
I do agree with the others, as well.

That being said, the colors really do come in handy for us, as a lot of our clients want plots as PDF's and not on paper. We can use colors to serve purposes that arent lost in the translation to black and white, if such a translation never happens.

We dont do it much, but (for instance) we keep our general text as blue, and our Material Tag's as Black. That way, a quick look at the wall section can tell someone what is a tag and what isnt.

Besides, in the plot settings we just change it appropriately do make everything blck, or leave things in color.

But largely, i agree with not trying to make it look like autocad.

twiceroadsfool
2008-07-01, 06:14 PM
Also, to add to the conversation, regardless of WYSIWYG, i think letting us change the foreground object and background color is a must. Microsoft Word is pretty much WYSIWYG, and i dont expect to "get" blue paper with white text... But i work that way.

If i had the capabilities id work on a medium gray background, instead of white. Both the black and the white hurt my eyes, but in the ACAD days i had dark gray with (whatever color) objects, and my eyes hurt much less at the end of the day.

And my brightness is set all the way down already, lol...