PDA

View Full Version : Topography Below Slab

Jason Grant
2008-07-02, 01:28 PM
I have a team that is showing the basement level of their building with the surrounding topography cut graphics as a solid fill. Adjacent structures that do not have basements have a pad at level 1. Does anyone know why the topography does not fill in with a plan cut like it does with a section cut? The white spaces are very strange and distracting when printed. I have attached an example of the plan view and also a section at one of the white spaces.

To troubleshoot I did the following:
1. Did an override on all site and topography elements to show a fill. Did not change it.
2. Checked the view ranges and they are all correct.

Let me know if you have any insight.

tomnewsom
2008-07-02, 02:56 PM
And the answer is........

Because topography and site tools in general are useless!
Sort it out, autodesk!

Seriously though, the only fix that comes to mind is placing a topo the same size as you basement slab directly underneath it :(

dgraue
2008-07-02, 03:59 PM
We spent a fair amount of time working through similar issues when using topography. There does not seem to be a reliable solution at this time, so we quit fighting it and did some graphic patch-work. We used Filled Region under the drafting tool and set the fill pattern to Earth. We set the background of the fill property to Transparent and the lines were set to Invisible. This is not an solution I know, but it is a work around and the fill pattern does line up with the cut topo to be visually seamless.

I wouldn't say the site tools are useless. I think they are about 85% there but until the final 15% is developed, they are quite frustrating and not very effective tools.

patricks
2008-07-02, 06:11 PM
Well if you could do more than a 4-sided orthogonal crop region, you could just crop out most of that earth fill, including the white spaces.

But since we can't, I would probably just place a masking region with a curved outline so that the earth fill of the cut topography is generally only showing near the building, and you don't have this huge area of earth fill. Then that space could be used to place schedules or notes or other things.

Just a personal opinion of how I would do it. :)