PDA

View Full Version : Cut and Fill of Split Topo surfaces.

daniel.cocker
2008-07-02, 01:52 PM
Hi All,

My first post here! Hopefully someone can be of assistance.

I am basically doing my first 3D site plan within Revit, i have done buildings before but not really dabbled with the site tools.

Im working on quite a steep site and cut and fill values are important for cost implications, so being able to output cut / fill schedules is vital.

I have started with a 3D site survey which i have created a topo surface from.

If i select graded region and select the surface (with copy points unchecked) my surface is moved back a phase and a new one is created. Then via the element properties i have all the cut and fill info i need. Which is great!

However, i dont want to alter the entire site. Only specific elements, i.e. Proposed Car Parks, access roads, footways etc.

So i split the toposurface. Now if i select a split element of the topo and use graded region on it. When i go into properties there is no longer any cut or fill info! Why is this?

I could be going about things the wrong way. I basically have an existing terrain which i need to split into different finishes and regrade to proposed levels to give cut and fill values.

Any one got any pointers?

Thanks.

daniel.cocker
2008-07-02, 02:30 PM
Following on from this some of the split areas do show cut and fill when re-graded, others do not!

Why could this be?

Eggs
2008-08-12, 12:18 AM
Hi Daniel

Are you moving/altering the external boundary of the surface outside the original boundary parameters (making the area larger than the existing).

I am currently doing somthing similer and found that if the boundary is moved/altered away from the original it failed to display the Cut/Fill info.

I also have deleted a split surface area and rebuilt it and it kept the Cut/Fill info, as long as it is rebuilt within the original existing surface area.

Also do the "Grade Region" function on the on the existing surface only, or ensure the phase of the surface is in line with what revit wants.

Here is what I did for my Model.

I created my surface from a ACAD dwg, put the surface on a existing phase, then click OK.

Right click and select "View Properties..." from the menu. Have the Phase Filter under the Phasing heading "Show All", click OK.

Select the "Graded Region" function, Select "Copy Internal Points" on the sub window that appears and then click "Select".
Pick your existing surface, a new surface should be made over your existing surface.

(If the surface was not put on to a different phase as the one you are currently on a warning will appear saying "The Surface being Graded was created in the current Phase. Grading it will result in it being created and destroyed in the same Phase.")

To see your new surface, Right click and select "View Properties..." from the menu. Have the Phase Filter under the Phasing heading "Show New", click OK.

Click on the surface and select the properties of it and the Phasing area should say "New Construction" and the Cut/Fill info will be there as well showing 0.000m³.

From here I altered the surface as required by splitting the surface into areas and amending the heights of points as required.

Hope this helps

regards
daniel

ptranberg
2008-10-01, 12:15 PM
Thanks! I have been looking for this for days now. Super solution.

Peter