PDA

View Full Version : Tagging Linked elements...

scatter529359
2008-07-09, 02:53 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the factory promising the ability to tag linked elements in R09?

Am I missing something blatantly obvious or can this still not be done? I'll be really miffed if it can't be given how drawing scale seriously figs around with tags (which necessitates creating duplicate floor plans for every single package we're working on. On a project which will issue literally a couple of thousand sheets that is a major, major pain in the ***).

nnguyen
2008-07-09, 03:31 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the factory promising the ability to tag linked elements in R09?

Am I missing something blatantly obvious or can this still not be done? I'll be really miffed if it can't be given how drawing scale seriously figs around with tags (which necessitates creating duplicate floor plans for every single package we're working on. On a project which will issue literally a couple of thousand sheets that is a major, major pain in the ***).

We tried today, and it doesn't seem to work. and we also thought that the linework command would work on link models too, but we tried that today and it didn't like it took.

scatter529359
2008-07-09, 03:51 AM
the linework tool works fine on linked elements in plan - haven't tried any other view.

haven't been able to over-ride individual elements as of yet. thought that was going to be a major feature of this release too :(

Scott Womack
2008-07-09, 05:25 PM
the linework tool works fine on linked elements in plan - haven't tried any other view.

haven't been able to over-ride individual elements as of yet. thought that was going to be a major feature of this release too :(

I just tried it in a model that has 5 Revit models linked into it. I select the link, then with the cursor over the object I want to affect, I tab until it highlights, then I can select it.. Then I can right-click and modify its graphics in that view. I could do this in release 2008 as well.

However, you cannot tag items such as rooms or doors through the link.

twiceroadsfool
2008-07-09, 05:44 PM
For tags you have to use Linked Views... Its a bit laborious but once everyone has the workflow down its pretty simple.

It gets annoying when you need to dimension things between the links though, lol...

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-07-09, 07:12 PM

I don't believe this was the 'promise'.
2009 allows linked models to recognize room bounding elements so room objects and tags can be placed in the host file. Other annotation still needs to be placed in the linked file and then the view in the host file needs to be set to display an appropriate view from the linked file.

As for the linework tool, it will work across linked files as long as the view settings in the host file are set to 'By Host'. That said, you can have one or the other, either linework modified in the host or the ability to set a view for display in the host.

From a workflow standpoint I would create annotation views specific to contract packages in the link file. You can add annotation and modify linework as required in that view and then when you link the model into the host project just set the view to display that view.

Scott Womack
2008-07-09, 09:12 PM
It will come to tag certain types of things though the link. That appears to be the intended direction. I don't remember a 'promise' of this being the issue of tagging objects in a linked file. I do know the room bounding issue is actually related to the Revit MEP work flow more than anything else.

DanielleAnderson
2008-08-04, 04:40 PM
So...I've been thrown onto a project and am trying to help things go smoothly with a bunch of revit-newbies...this is a 4-bldg office park. Two of the bldgs are identical and therefore built once and linked/mirrored. I need to add room and door tags...any brilliant ideas? Thankfully I think there are really only about 4 or 5 plans affected.

Scott Womack
2008-08-04, 04:43 PM
So...I've been thrown onto a project and am trying to help things go smoothly with a bunch of revit-newbies...this is a 4-bldg office park. Two of the bldgs are identical and therefore built once and linked/mirrored. I need to add room and door tags...any brilliant ideas? Thankfully I think there are really only about 4 or 5 plans affected.
You need to add them on the plans where the doors actually exist. Then in what ever file you are plotting out of, you set the linked file to actually display the plan view that you put the tags into. This will cause them to appear in the file plan view for plotting.

DanielleAnderson
2008-08-04, 04:58 PM
So just to make blatantly sure I have it here:
I tag Building B (in this case) and then go into Building C and set the view to basically "show" building B? Will it matter that the buildings are mirrored?

Another possibility here that I was just discussing with a coworker is that since we are into CDs now, to basically unlink building C and make it a copy of building B and have it become independent from here on out.

Thoughts?

Addendum: I figured out the linked views...I must have done that at some time in the past. It's very cool. Thanks.

JPC Design
2008-08-04, 11:15 PM
Is there any way to tag a room that has being linked into a file?

From this post I have tried the "linked by view" approach. However, it seems to only toggle the annotations/tags on and off. You are not able to add additional information.

I am working in a series of repetitive floor plans (interior) that have being linked into a file. We have tried the "load revit file as a group," however, Revit 2008 started to act funny after inserting many/multiple floor plans to show key floor plan layouts. The problem is: while reloading the groups when changes have being made to them, Revit will ungroup the previous instance, and will place a new grouped instance on top.

I would like to link the files instead and be able to tag and annotate once the file has being linked. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help!

JPC

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-08-05, 01:45 AM
Not in 2008 .In Revit 2009 you can set the linked file to be 'Room Bounding' and this will allow you to add room objects and tags in the host file.