PDA

View Full Version : need mr area omni help

mbutler.136569
2008-07-09, 06:21 PM
We are trying to render a daytime exterior scene looking into an atrium. It's too dark in the atrium, so I added an mr area omni. I'm using all mental ray settings, including daylight & mr sky. I've tried every combination of mr area omni lights settings/sky settings/sky portals/final gather settings/etc. that I can think of and cannot get the atrium to appear lit up. I even turned off the glass layer so that's there's nothing impeding from the mr area omni and it still came in dark...so I know it's not the glass. Any suggestions?

I can provide further info if you need it.

anthony.cortez
2008-07-11, 03:16 AM
You can try increasing your bounce in your FG settings, enabling GI will also brighten up your scene. Can you post a preview?

iamreavis
2008-07-16, 02:17 PM
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM RECENTLY AND HAD TO BUMP UP THE OMNI INTENSITY TO OVER 50,000 TO EVEN SEE A DIFFERENCE. I THINK MY SCENE UNITS WERE OUT OF WHACK BUT I'VE NEVER GONE BACK TO FIGURE IT OUT BECAUSE IT WAS JUST AN EXERCISE AND NOT FOR PROFIT...

CHECK YOUR SCENE UNITS ETC. FIRST!

mbutler.136569
2008-07-18, 03:04 PM
Here's a jpeg that shows the problem. I've gone as high as 100 with the omni with no luck...higher you think? Do you think it's as simple as bumping up the intensities on the lights, or could there be an overriding exposure setting like units that could be causing this?

I've now started putting in RPCs (plants, people) into the scene and they're all coming in too dark also. Since this jpeg I've added an RPC Environment too, which renders the sky green, like some huge tornado is on it's way. Scanline renders the sky perfectly, which makes me think it's a mental ray issue. Archvision tech support can't even figure this one out, but they think it has to do with my mental ray settings too. They don't like mental ray:)

mbutler.136569
2008-07-18, 03:07 PM
also, any suggestions for figuring these units out?

mbutler.136569
2008-07-18, 03:22 PM
...stupid jpeg.

stusic
2008-07-25, 04:35 AM
I'd say bump up the bounces. And I agree, GI could help.

aerotrain99
2008-08-13, 04:45 PM
I know the last thing you want to here is "mr photographic exposure control renders with realistic outdoor/indoor scene visibility and that your scene is actually accurate"....so I will suggest a few mr PEC tweaks that worked for one of my scenes (may only work for me but worth a try). I was using exterior daylight clear sky setting but changed shutter speed to 1\400 (maybe 1\300) and set highlights=1.0, midtones=1.0, shadows=.25 or lower.

Units can't be changed (at least highly discouraged) after opening or creating a scene. This must be done prior to import.