PDA

View Full Version : Line based family - Orientation of workplane

mmiles
2008-07-10, 08:32 PM
Hi all,

I have been experimenting with line based families to make window sills. At this point I am trying to decide if nesting that into a wall based family (with a void to cut the wall), or just simply loading the line based (aka- 2 pick family) into the project.

If I do the latter, is it possible to make it cut a wall once inserted?
Is there a trick for inserting the 2 pick family? When I place the component the workplane is always flipped differently than I anticipated. In the case of my window sill I built the geometry so it appears how I wish it to in the "front" or "placement" elevation, but it comes in upside down every time.thanks.

Scott Womack
2008-07-10, 09:13 PM
It makes difference if you drew it on the exterior side and are trying to insert it on the "interior" side. Also did you draw the geometry as an extrusion, or as a sweep, with the path following the 2 pick line?

mmiles
2008-07-10, 10:44 PM
In the case of the 2pick family, I did not know there was an exterior or interior side.

I made a sweep that follows the ref. line. The path was drawn in the floor plan ref view. I drew the profile such that it would appear in the front elevation as I anticipated the sill would look when facing the exterior of a wall. I want to insert, or draw the component in an exterior elevation or 3D view. when in either type of view the family initially draws upside down- so I flip the work plane and realign.

Is there a way to use the space bar to flip the family just prior to completing the second point?

Scott Womack
2008-07-11, 05:12 PM
In the case of the 2pick family, I did not know there was an exterior or interior side.

I made a sweep that follows the ref. line. The path was drawn in the floor plan ref view. I drew the profile such that it would appear in the front elevation as I anticipated the sill would look when facing the exterior of a wall. I want to insert, or draw the component in an exterior elevation or 3D view. when in either type of view the family initially draws upside down- so I flip the work plane and realign.

Is there a way to use the space bar to flip the family just prior to completing the second point?
Go back into your family, and place "Controls" (the little blue arrows) oriented in the direction you want it to "flip, then the space bar will flip it between the first and second points