PDA

View Full Version : Detail lines

greg.gebert978266
2008-07-11, 12:58 PM
I have two questions:
1) Is it possible to use the line work tool on detail components or is that only an option on model lines?
Or is it view specific?
2) Is there a way to change the end style of a line? I.E. Instead of it being rounded make it square?

aaronrumple
2008-07-11, 01:23 PM
The linework tool is specific to model elements. There is no need to use it on detail lines as you can just change the line type of the object directly.

No. Revit only does rounded ends.

greg.gebert978266
2008-07-11, 01:25 PM
The linework tool is specific to model elements. There is no need to use it on detail lines as you can just change the line type of the object directly.

No. Revit only does rounded ends.

I wish they would add the option of squared ends like in AutoCAD.

aaronrumple
2008-07-11, 03:59 PM
I wish they would add the option of squared ends like in AutoCAD.

Be carefull what you ask for. What you really want is mitered ends.... ;-)

patricks
2008-07-11, 04:13 PM
ohhh gosh then we'd all be in here whining about how Revit handles LINE JOINS in addition to all the wall join woes threads around here. :roll:

I think the rounded ends are just fine the way they are. It's never really been an issue for us in our construction documents.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-07-11, 06:22 PM
For most lines it's not an issue but I think it becomes apparent when people are used to using really fat polylines in ACAD and then come to Revit where no polyline tool is available. They bump up the line weight and then get rounded ends and don't like the appearance.

ron.sanpedro
2008-07-11, 06:37 PM
ohhh gosh then we'd all be in here whining about how Revit handles LINE JOINS in addition to all the wall join woes threads around here. :roll:

I think the rounded ends are just fine the way they are. It's never really been an issue for us in our construction documents.

Technical pens made round ends, and those drawings look rather fine. For a hundred years or so they looked fine. Of all the things to worry about in Revit, making the lines look like AutoCAD ain't one of them for me. It should be about Architecture, not drafting. Some day soon we won't have to kill trees just to make buildings, and then we can stop worrying about lineweights and line ends and all the rest of the drafting holdovers and focus on things like carbon footprint, toxic materials, quality daylighting, wonderful spaces and all the rest of the actually important stuff.

Gordon

greg.mcdowell
2008-07-14, 09:36 PM
Yeah Earth!

And if someone needs a really thick line; instead of making a really thick line weight try using a filled region.

tatriest
2008-09-24, 03:13 PM
Being of the structural type, I like to use polylines to draw my rebar, which would not be rounded at the ends.

I will have to experiment with filled regions.

patricks
2008-09-24, 03:40 PM
I would highly suggest using detail components for your rebar instead of filled regions. I know RAC comes with rebar detail components for straight pieces, bent pieces, and section cuts for all available bar sizes. The bar elevation detail components do have squared ends.