PDA

View Full Version : Exporting sheets to dwg - images removed

ejburrell67787
2008-07-13, 08:24 AM
I've been searching threads but not found anything on this, however, if it has been covered already my apologies...

We have a number of sheets that have images (in addition to the company logo on all titleblocks). The images are all in drafting views with various annotations etc and then placed on sheets. When we export to dwg files (autocad 2000 format as the lowest common denominator) the images are all removed from the view and end up as linked files with the dwg just reporting the file path and not showing the image. This doesn't work for us when we then email the dwgs out (or post on a CD-ROM) - either the images don't go with the dwgs or the links are broken because the file paths are all changed. Is there a setting to switch this so that the images are actually in the dwg file? (like the tick box to make sure views aren't exported as xref files)

Cheers!

atbergma
2008-07-13, 04:29 PM
I find that when I export to dwg, ACAD does a better job of repathing linked dwgs or images when I export to a more recent format (2007). Beyond that, I think you'd have to manually repath and resave, as there doesn't seem to be an option to export the images embedded into the .dwgs.

ejburrell67787
2008-07-13, 08:27 PM
Thanks Aaron.

The problem remains then as we don't use Autocad in the office at all. (Vectorworks is the drafting programme of choice in the office.)

Anyone know if there is a way to set the images to save to the same location as the exported dwgs by default? Under tools, options, file locations (paths?) there is an option to set where the images export to, but we often save exports to a different place each time. Maybe I need to set people's default locations to a general folder where they can always be found...

Rick Houle
2008-07-14, 12:26 PM
Thanks Aaron.
Anyone know if there is a way to set the images to save to the same location as the exported dwgs by default?

I just exported to cad and selected "Export each view or sheet as single file"
Then the images end up in the same location as the resulting DWG file...
(This was an export to acad-2007)

ejburrell67787
2008-07-14, 01:44 PM
Thanks but I guess you must be using RAC2008 or an older version as that isn't an option in RAC2009 - there is a tick/check box for Xref views on sheets instead. (i.e. un-tick for no xrefs of the view)

twiceroadsfool
2008-07-14, 03:51 PM
Thanks Aaron.

The problem remains then as we don't use Autocad in the office at all. (Vectorworks is the drafting programme of choice in the office.)

Anyone know if there is a way to set the images to save to the same location as the exported dwgs by default? Under tools, options, file locations (paths?) there is an option to set where the images export to, but we often save exports to a different place each time. Maybe I need to set people's default locations to a general folder where they can always be found...

I wonder if this is different for images in the model, versus images in the titleblocks then? We have two images (JPEGS) in our titleblock, and without fail EVERY time we export sheets to DWG the images get placed right in the same directory as the DWG exports themselves. They work when we open the CAD file too...

ejburrell67787
2008-07-14, 04:09 PM
I think you are right, my recollection is that titleblock images do end up in the same directory as the dwg exports and they do link into the files fine also.