PDA

View Full Version : Material Takeoffs in 2D Elevations

PaperStreet SoapCO
2008-07-13, 10:53 PM
Hello - I've been put to task to help someone quantify square footage of material on a project. What I've been given is a .pdf set (although somewhat incomplete) and some cad files of the elevations and building sections. I've been going through the elevations and using a filled region for different areas in order to get the square footage and denote locations of materials. Is there any way I can get this stuff to schedule? It would be nice if I could have it automatically read the filled regions and tabulate them. Any ideas?

aggockel50321
2008-07-14, 01:55 PM
You might be better off to import either a cad floorplan if you have one, or convert the pdf to a supported image file, import and scale that.

Then just place the walls, windows, etc., and schedule them out....

PaperStreet SoapCO
2008-07-14, 02:42 PM
You know, after thinking about it, I could have just imported the cad files of the elevations into a floor plan view in Revit and scheduled it with an area plan. Oops - anyone know the 'convert filled regions to area plan' command? :lol:

Scott Womack
2008-07-14, 04:45 PM
You know, after thinking about it, I could have just imported the cad files of the elevations into a floor plan view in Revit and scheduled it with an area plan. Oops - anyone know the 'convert filled regions to area plan' command? :lol:
There is no way to "convert" filled regions to areas. The work-around is to edit the filled region, so you get the pink sketch lines, and while in this mode, select the sketch lines, and copy them to the clipboard. Exit the filled region, go to the area plan, start an area, and paste the lines into this view.

Scott Womack

Andre Carvalho
2008-07-14, 04:59 PM
There is no way to "convert" filled regions to areas. The work-around is to edit the filled region, so you get the pink sketch lines, and while in this mode, select the sketch lines, and copy them to the clipboard. Exit the filled region, go to the area plan, start an area, and paste the lines into this view.

Scott Womack

I don't think that will work, because you can't get the pink lines when editing the filled regions. And even if you copy those lines to a, let's say, floor sketch (to get the pink lines) then select and copy the pink lines to the clipboard, if you try to paste into an area plan (even with the Area Boundary command activated), the lines will be just detail lines...

Andre Carvalho

Scott Womack
2008-07-14, 09:48 PM
I don't think that will work, because you can't get the pink lines when editing the filled regions. And even if you copy those lines to a, let's say, floor sketch (to get the pink lines) then select and copy the pink lines to the clipboard, if you try to paste into an area plan (even with the Area Boundary command activated), the lines will be just detail lines...

Andre Carvalho

Andre, You are right. I tried it and it won't work. I have used the described method for getting model object sketch lines into other model objects. Won't work in this case. Good Catch!!