PDA

View Full Version : Break lines in Drafting Views

aargumaniz
2008-07-14, 09:30 PM
I am converting some ADT details into RAC2008, can't use RAC2009 because the project team doesn't want to upgrade to RAC2009. I have multiple details that have break lines in them and then dimensions to the overall length of the items. My problem is that when I use the break line found under the Detail Components is that it breaks the detail but then I can't move the lines for this detail to make it fit within my boundary. If I move the lines closer to fit within the boundary, the overall dimension changes and gets smaller because I'm moving the objects closer.

How can I use the break line, move my objects closer and still keep the overall dimension of the object?

Scott Womack
2008-07-14, 09:36 PM
I am converting some ADT details into RAC2008, can't use RAC2009 because the project team doesn't want to upgrade to RAC2009. I have multiple details that have break lines in them and then dimensions to the overall length of the items. My problem is that when I use the break line found under the Detail Components is that it breaks the detail but then I can't move the lines for this detail to make it fit within my boundary. If I move the lines closer to fit within the boundary, the overall dimension changes and gets smaller because I'm moving the objects closer.

How can I use the break line, move my objects closer and still keep the overall dimension of the object?
Since a drafting Detail, you can't you'll have to use a klunky work-around for this. You'll need to make a dimension style (We've labeled it No_Text in 2008, set the height of the text in the dimension style to 1/256" high. Place the dimension, then you'll hace to place a piece of text over the dimension, where you want it.

Scott Womack

aargumaniz
2008-07-14, 10:26 PM
Scott,
Thanks for the tip!

rmejia
2008-07-14, 10:31 PM
If you don't mind having a period at the end of the dimension, you can edit the dimension to "Replace With Text" and type in a dimension and a period or some other text at the end.

saeborne
2008-07-15, 05:01 PM
If you don't mind having a period at the end of the dimension, you can edit the dimension to "Replace With Text" and type in a dimension and a period or some other text at the end.

That works in 2009, but not in 2008, the version that the original poster is using.

patricks
2008-07-15, 06:04 PM
For 2008, placing text over the actual dimension text is the only solution.

aargumaniz
2008-07-15, 09:15 PM
Thanks Guys,
Now my other question about the detail view is:
How do I get a dimension string to have a tick mark on one end and an arrow on the other end. I don't see an option to control the two tick marks individually. Is this possible in Revit? If not what are the workarounds others have been doing.

One more question, we've been using Revit for 2.5 years now and I am just diving in to converting ACA 2006 dtls into Revit. What are some of your office protocols in regards to setting up hatch patterns to be used in details. Do you import the ACA .pat files to be used in Revit and put them all in the Revit Template or do you allow the users to individually import the .pat files that they need and scale them to their hearths content.

Thanks!

Scott Womack
2008-07-15, 09:45 PM
Thanks Guys,
Now my other question about the detail view is:
How do I get a dimension string to have a tick mark on one end and an arrow on the other end. I don't see an option to control the two tick marks individually. Is this possible in Revit? If not what are the workarounds others have been doing.

One more question, we've been using Revit for 2.5 years now and I am just diving in to converting ACA 2006 dtls into Revit. What are some of your office protocols in regards to setting up hatch patterns to be used in details. Do you import the ACA .pat files to be used in Revit and put them all in the Revit Template or do you allow the users to individually import the .pat files that they need and scale them to their hearths content.

Thanks!

Currently, there is no way to get a different tick mark on one end from the other. You can set your dimension string to change the line to a centerline, and place the CL symbol on it. We've just given the different tick marks on opposing ends up. I have in the past created a style using dots instead of ticks, and placed this so as to dimension the column grids only.

We have loaded the .pat files into Revit, and controlled the scale vis the templates. Although no one ever thinks there is time, link the ACA detail into a drafting view, and trace it/pick the lines using Revit detail lines, and placing as many of the Revit Detail components over the ACA Detail. This takes a small amount of time longer per detail,
but since it is linked, you can then remove the link without "polluting" the detail, and then ever project file you ever place it into. This will aid in making the file a shade faster, and allow you to build a series of project files for say, Roof Detail, and Door Detail, etc. These can then be brought into Revit by inserting views.