PDA

View Full Version : Receptacle Visibilty in Elevation?

saeborne
2008-07-15, 08:33 PM
Hi all (especially Andre!)...

So, We've developed some groovy receptacle components. In the floor plan view, it shows the typical plug symbols, that is linked to elevation information. In elevation, you can see the plug coverplate.

All is well... Except, when the plug is hidden by millwork, or equipment (in this case the refrigerator).

In this particular elevation (see attached), I went back and used the linework tool to dash in the appearance of the receptacles behind the refrigerator. But frankly, this sucks. That means for every plug, in every elevation, someone has to manually override the appearance. This will not work!

Can anyone think of a method of having the concealed receptacles appear in elevation as dashed?

Using a simple symbolic line around the face plate doesn't seem to work. Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

sfaust
2008-07-15, 09:25 PM
It's probably being hidden because the entire family is hidden behind the refrigerator and that's why the symbolic lines don't show up.

Potentially you could use the trick from ceiling based components; draw an invisible line coming out from the receptacle 3 or 4 feet (enough to get past the refrigerator or casework, etc). That will (I think) trigger the element to be in the view. The geometry should still be hidden, but it should show the symbolic lines then.

Just thinking out loud, I haven't tried it, but would be interested to know if it works...

johnf.77896
2008-07-16, 01:26 PM
Have you tried to make the refrigerator transparent in your elevation view?

John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.

Andre Carvalho
2008-07-16, 01:46 PM
Hi all (especially Andre!)...

So, We've developed some groovy receptacle components. In the floor plan view, it shows the typical plug symbols, that is linked to elevation information. In elevation, you can see the plug coverplate.

All is well... Except, when the plug is hidden by millwork, or equipment (in this case the refrigerator).

In this particular elevation (see attached), I went back and used the linework tool to dash in the appearance of the receptacles behind the refrigerator. But frankly, this sucks. That means for every plug, in every elevation, someone has to manually override the appearance. This will not work!

Can anyone think of a method of having the concealed receptacles appear in elevation as dashed?

Using a simple symbolic line around the face plate doesn't seem to work. Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Saeborne!

Just edit your family, go to the elevation view, select your symbolic lines, properties, uncheck the option draw in foreground. This should work.

You can also add two different symbolic lines: dashed and continuous and add a visibility parameter to control if you want to show them as hidden lines or solid lines, depending on when it is behind something or not.

I hope it helps,

Andre Carvalho

saeborne
2008-07-16, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the reply.

The ol' Invisible line trick worked great for getting my over head cabs to show as dashed in plan. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as well for elevations.

Basically, the elevation cut plane would have to cut the electrical fixture to show the symbolic lines. Obviously, this isn't always the case.

The other way, is I could make my casework / specialty equipment transparent. That could have negative repercussions also.

saeborne
2008-07-16, 02:09 PM
Thanks Saeborne!

Just edit your family, go to the elevation view, select your symbolic lines, properties, uncheck the option draw in foreground. This should work.

You can also add two different symbolic lines: dashed and continuous and add a visibility parameter to control if you want to show them as hidden lines or solid lines, depending on when it is behind something or not.

I hope it helps,

Andre Carvalho

I replied before I read this answer.... Let me give this one a shot.

Thanks Andre!

saeborne
2008-07-16, 02:14 PM
Thanks Saeborne!

I hope it helps,

Andre Carvalho

Ok, I tried both checking, and unchecking the "draw in foreground" option. Unfortunately, the symbolic lines just won't display if another object (refrigerator or casework) is concealing the component from view.

Hrm...

Andre Carvalho
2008-07-16, 02:19 PM
Humm... See the attached rough example I just created. There's a refrigerator and a model behind it. The symbolic lines show, when I'm elevation, even if the view is set to hidden lines.

Andre Carvalho

saeborne
2008-07-16, 04:15 PM
Andre! Always brilliant!

But... I can't emulate what you're doing.

The attached file, (Andre2) I put in a giant X with symbolic lines. Somehow, your symbolic lines show, but mine do not. What am I doing wrong?

Bryan

Andre Carvalho
2008-07-16, 04:19 PM
Andre! Always brilliant!

But... I can't emulate what you're doing.

The attached file, (Andre2) I put in a giant X with symbolic lines. Somehow, your symbolic lines show, but mine do not. What am I doing wrong?

Bryan

I couldn't find any attached file... But make sure you select the lines you created and go to properties > uncheck Draw in foreground.

Andre Carvalho

saeborne
2008-07-16, 04:57 PM
Hrm... that's strange. I'm having trouble uploading a file...

Got it to work as a .zip file.

Please take a look. I'm pretty sure I unchecked "Draw in Foreground." Notice how my giant box is blocked by the fridge, but your lines are still visible.

I don't quite understand how they are different.

Thanks again,

Bryan

saeborne
2008-07-16, 05:21 PM
I did notice a difference between my symbolic lines and your symbolic lines...

Mine are hosted on a work plan (Extrusion).

Yours are <not associated>.

How do you make a symbolic line that is not associated to a work plane?

saeborne
2008-07-16, 05:23 PM
Ok. I was able to get it to work by copying your symbolic lines into my .RFA file.

But how does one create a brand new symbolic line that is not associated?

Thanks again to Andre and everyone else!

Bryan

Andre Carvalho
2008-07-17, 01:40 PM
Ok. I was able to get it to work by copying your symbolic lines into my .RFA file.

But how does one create a brand new symbolic line that is not associated?

Thanks again to Andre and everyone else!

Bryan

Bryan,

That's the catch... :p

Edit your family > Go to a plan view > Create a new reference plane, away +/- 5 feet to the wall face (this will make sure that the symbolic lines are on a plane that is in front of the refrigerator or other 3D element in your project) > name the plane just created > got to the "Placement side" elevation > draw the symbolic lines, making sure the plane is the plane just created (you will see the name on the list) > select the symbolic lines > properties > uncheck "Draw in foreground > go to the plan view again > delete the plane you created. This last step is not necessary, but doing that will make the lines' plane to be "not associated" and still in front of everything.

I hope it helps,

Andre Carvalho

saeborne
2008-07-17, 01:44 PM
that... Is... BRILLIANT!!!

I can see this trick working very nicely in a variety of situations.

Thanks again, Andre.