PDA

View Full Version : filling in your masses?

ekhozindar
2008-07-16, 09:05 PM
ok newb question, sorry, but i have a slab that slopes, i figured the fastest way to make it would be to mass the slab and fill it in, however i've now noticed there is no option to fill in a mass, just to add walls floors curtain system and roof's to it's faces... is there something i'm missing? how can i fill in my mass.

saeborne
2008-07-16, 09:24 PM
It can be tricky to go from a Mass object to other categories of modeling.

Two things you can try...

1) use the floor tool with the slope arrow. That's typically how I build ramps, slopes, etc.

2) if the form is truly bizzarre, you can always create an in-place family.

Click the modelling tab.

Click create

Select "Floor" as your category,

Name your family.

Then you will be given the same methods of solid extrusions that are available in the mass tools.

The benefit is that when you're all said and done, the object will be of the "floor" category, in lieu of the mass category.

Good luck!

Bryan

luigi
2008-07-16, 09:30 PM
As it was mentioned, floors can slope, but to answer your question directly...

If you choose "Massing" from your "Design Bar", then you have a choice for Floor by face. You may have problems if you don't turn on the floor level in the mass....just click on the mass, do floor faces and then choose your level(s) and then choose that face....but it won't work as you wish with the slope.

If you were able to create the solids in a mass family, just create the same solids in a floor family (in place, just like it was already suggested) BTW, if you spent the time to create it in the mass, you don't have to re-create it again...just go into the mass family (edit it) and copy the solid to clipboard (ctrl-c) and then exit the family, and create the new "floor" inplace family and paste to current view...)

Are you sure you can't use a regular floor, and either use 1 slope arrow, or use the 2009 floor/roof editing options?

ok newb question, sorry, but i have a slab that slopes, i figured the fastest way to make it would be to mass the slab and fill it in, however i've now noticed there is no option to fill in a mass, just to add walls floors curtain system and roof's to it's faces... is there something i'm missing? how can i fill in my mass.