PDA

View Full Version : Corrugated Metal as Exterior Wall Finish

jsteinhauer
2008-07-18, 03:07 PM
I am trying to get a corrugated metal panel pattern to show up for my walls. This is fine & dandy for horizontal corrugations (Sweeps & Reveals). So how do I go about getting it to work for the vertical orientation? My wall is going to be following the following "Structure":

-Exterior-
Corrugated Panel - Thickness .75"
Insulation - Thickness 1"
Air Barrier - Thickness 0"
Wood Sheathing - Thickness .5"
Wood Stud - Thickness 3.625"
Vapor / Moisture - Thickness 0"
Metal Furring - Thickness .75"
Gypsum Wall Board - Thickness .5"
-Interior-

Thanks in advance,
Jeff S.

Andre Carvalho
2008-07-18, 03:12 PM
Jeff,

Do you want (or need) that to be in 3D? If not you can use the "Edit Cut Profile" tool to shape the layer for the corrugated metal in your wall (in plan) with the profile you want.

If you need it in 3D, you can try using a wall sweep and check the option "vertical" to create vertical sweeps.

Andre Carvalho

jsteinhauer
2008-07-18, 03:22 PM
Jeff,

Do you want (or need) that to be in 3D? If not you can use the "Edit Cut Profile" tool to shape the layer for the corrugated metal in your wall (in plan) with the profile you want.

If you need it in 3D, you can try using a wall sweep and check the option "vertical" to create vertical sweeps.

Andre Carvalho

Where do I select the option of 'Vertical'? See image for options available to me.

Thanks,

Jeff S.

jeffh
2008-07-18, 03:44 PM
Where do I select the option of 'Vertical'? See image for options available to me.

Thanks,

Jeff S.

Vertical walls sweeps can't be applied at the type level. You would have to sweep each wall individually.

Andre Carvalho
2008-07-18, 03:44 PM
Sorry Jeff, I wasn't talking about the sweeps that are embedded into the wall structure. You can't do that there. I was talking about the vertical sweep under the Modelling tab. I know it is "crazy" to add these sweeps one by one, and that's why I've asked if you really need them in 3D. Also, you better have a powerful computer if you want to add the 3D sweeps everywhere.

Andre Carvalho

jsteinhauer
2008-07-18, 04:08 PM
Sorry Jeff, I wasn't talking about the sweeps that are embedded into the wall structure. You can't do that there. I was talking about the vertical sweep under the Modelling tab. I know it is "crazy" to add these sweeps one by one, and that's why I've asked if you really need them in 3D. Also, you better have a powerful computer if you want to add the 3D sweeps everywhere.

Andre Carvalho

I would like to be able to model this for renderings & details. Most of the time it will be hidden, and therefore shouldn't affect performance to badly. Besides I have a new work horse, and I want to see what it can do.

Is it possible to build a corrugated element as part of the wall structure?

Thanks,
Jeff S.

Andre Carvalho
2008-07-18, 04:41 PM
No it's not possible to build it as part of the structure, because it is a vertical profile...

If it is for rendering purposes, why don't you try just use a model pattern (for elevations and documentation purposes) and then play with the "Bump Pattern" and a corrugated metal image on Mental Ray? Our bricks aren't in 3D and because of the bump pattern we can still make them different from the mortar and finally they look like in 3D...

Andre Carvalho

Andre Carvalho
2008-07-18, 04:59 PM
Now, Jeff, if you really have time and patience, you can do the following idea I just came up with:

Draw your walls as usual > In plan, goto Modelling > Create > Generic model > give it a name > create a void extrusion that has the shape of the vertical corrugated metal you want and make sure it is touching the wall to cut it. Make sure it is height enough to go all the way to the roof, if you want > Do the same to all walls.

The good point about doing this is that the profile will also show in your walls in plan.

See attached rough Revit example I just did.

I hope it helps.

Andre Carvalho

jsteinhauer
2008-07-18, 05:34 PM
Now, Jeff, if you really have time and patience, you can do the following idea I just came up with:

Draw your walls as usual > In plan, goto Modelling > Create > Generic model > give it a name > create a void extrusion that has the shape of the vertical corrugated metal you want and make sure it is touching the wall to cut it. Make sure it is height enough to go all the way to the roof, if you want > Do the same to all walls.

The good point about doing this is that the profile will also show in your walls in plan.

See attached rough Revit example I just did.

I hope it helps.

Andre Carvalho

Thanks Andre,

Works great, except in plan. Something is a little funky with windows. It appears as though a corrugation is going through the windows. I checked your example, and it was the same. Doors are fine though.

Time to take a lunch break and regroup.

Thanks again,
Jeff S.

Andre Carvalho
2008-07-18, 05:54 PM
Yeah, that's because the corrugated is showing bellow the windows. We don't have the problem with the door because the door sill is at the walls base level. If you don't want to see the corrugated bellow the windows, you can edit the window family and add a mask region. It will mask anything bellow the window.

Have a nice lunch.

Andre Carvalho