PDA

View Full Version : Best way to draw REBAR

barathd
2004-09-19, 10:15 PM
What do you consider to be the best way to draw rebar in section and elevation in drafting views? No matter what I do things do not seem to be very fluid. Pattern fills IMHO are no solution. Hopefully this is resolved in Revit 7.

Regards

Dick Barath

beegee
2004-09-20, 12:11 AM
Greg Cashen wrote about this in another thread.

Yes. You can look in the standard revit library and there is a detail component called Reinforcing Bar - Section or something like that. Then just place it in your sections/details as needed. You could also try creating a parametric family that updated the rebar based on an array...come to think of it, I will try something like this. It would work for beams, columns, footings, etc. I usually just plop the little reinforcing dots in the detail and call em out and be done with it.
And this thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=3429&highlight=rebar)is worth reading.

christopher.zoog51272
2004-09-20, 02:18 AM
There is a whole collection of rebar detail components in the structural folder.

hth,
Z

barathd
2004-09-20, 02:33 AM
I have tried these detail components they are generally a pain. One has to screw around feeding in lenghts - one should be able to drag instead. When it gets to complex situations families are just too cumbersome - something better is required i.e. Softdesk rebar routines.

Regards

Dick Barath

christopher.zoog51272
2004-09-20, 02:40 AM
Oh, ok.

I think you can drag them if you "tab" until you highlight the "end" grip, I don't have revit in front of me, but I am pretty sure you could do this.

or are you asking that behaves simlar to a beam, wall, ect, (click and drag during creation)?

I assume a chain of drafting lines does not work for you?

I don't remember the softdesk routine.

-z

barathd
2004-09-20, 02:52 AM
Chris:

Don't think so (tabbing). Softdesk routines had choices of different shapes that would interact with offset distances. There is nothing in Revit that is worth a nickel.

Regards

Dick Barath

gregcashen
2004-09-20, 06:22 AM
The rebar does in fact stretch by tabbing on the ends.

PeterJ
2004-09-20, 08:11 AM
There is nothing in Revit that is worth a nickel.

On the upside Revit did an impeccable job .........I am not about to give up on Revit.

Do try and make up your mind.

Tom Weir
2004-09-20, 02:53 PM
Yo,
Unfortunately structural rebar functionality is another one of those "half-baked" areas that was not competed before Autodesk bought the product. Maybe an architect can use it for minimal work, but a serious structural designer won't find it too useful.
But, that said, understand that they are investing great time and effort toward upgrading the structural capabilites of Revit. This is one of the items they are very aware about.
In fact I am one of the original users of Softdesk structural, which you spoke about, and I sat them right down at my workstation and we went over all the good aspects of that great program from the past.
Of course, that is the Details module of ADT now. It is ironic that you have to own ADT in order to have the Details module. That really gets to me....

So they know full well what we expect. As I have said before I am not sure how much we will see in Release 7, but definately by release 8 I expect fully robust 2d rebar functionality.
That's one of the reaons I don't do much detailing in Revit yet. I still have to do it in Autocad. We have tried blocking out the Revit section to xref to an Autocad file. Then we draw the reinforcing over the xref. But it's slow and clumsy..

Have a great day...

Tom Weir
Los Angeles

gregcashen
2004-09-20, 03:01 PM
Most reinforcing steel "shop draw-ers" have a schedule of the typical types of rebar bends with little diagrams. If you were to make these in Revit the same way the two that come shipped with Revit are made, then you would have most of the rebar configurations already sorted out. The ones that come shipped with Revit use instance parameters and are very easy to use. If you have to make a custom one, it's not that hard. I understand what Tom is saying, but to Dick, I would suggest taking a deep breath, trying again to follow the direction given here and saying thanks to those who have helped you. As for Harry, he's a lost cause.

Tom Weir
2004-09-20, 03:48 PM
Yo,
Gregg is right. Don't be deterred if you have the gumption to develop those families on your own. The program certainly has tremendous flexibility. I'd be glad to help too. I tried a little of that last year, but am a much better user now, so maybe it would be easier than we think....
In fact I just dug out a grade beam family I was working on (with ZoogDesign help). Check it out...
Tom

barathd
2004-09-20, 04:58 PM
Peter:

Unless you intend your comments for "News of the World or the National Enquirer" please quote me in proper context.

Thank you.

barathd
2004-09-20, 05:21 PM
Everyone seems to think that these items are stretchable. Unless they are the wrong items or my keyboard is not working - tab - does nothing for me on these items. What is wrong?

Thank you.

Wes Macaulay
2004-09-20, 05:42 PM
Dick - on the straight piece if you hold your mouse over the end of the rebar and click tab you'll see (not obviously) that there's a little line appearing perpendicular to the rebar. Now you can click and drag it either way.

The other rebar family with the curve in it doesn't seem to have this ability, but it could. If the reference planes at the ends of a family are set to strong reference then you can grab them in the project in this fashion.

barathd
2004-09-20, 07:17 PM
Wes:

Thanks - I thought I was going crazy. Your not kidding when you say "not obviously" visible.

barathd
2004-09-20, 09:19 PM
Wes:

I tried putting a "strong reference" at the ends of the L-bars with no luck. Is this because pattern fills are being used?

Regards

Dick Barath

Martin P
2004-09-21, 07:27 AM
Having done a lot of RC detailing in a past life working in engineers offices, I am wondering what you are drawing? Your post cannot really be answered properly unless it is clear why you are drawing the rebar - are you an engineer doing full blown RC Drawings or an Architect just notionally showing some rebar??.... I always thought that Revit would really easily be converted to be a very powerful RC detailing package - I wish I had it when I was doing Full blown RC drawings, some families with paramaters, and scheduling ability it would have been superb - but it really would take a fair bit of family creation to achive.You can quickly make your own families if you are not happy with the ones in Revit, maybe this is the solution? Do you want it to schedule, do you need 3D views, or do you just want a notional 2D representation - if it is the latter you could always just draw lines and filled regions if you are stuck..... if you want schedules etc, you will probably have to make your own families, Revit is good for either case.

The repeating detail tool, and detail families would be well worth a look. As would possibly the railing tool. But some family creation is unavoidable I would say, Revit cannot provide every family you are going to need.

Wes Macaulay
2004-09-21, 01:15 PM
Wes:

I tried putting a "strong reference" at the ends of the L-bars with no luck. Is this because pattern fills are being used?

Regards

Dick BarathDunno. Will have a look when I get to the orifice...

Phil Palmer
2004-09-21, 02:04 PM
Dick,

Your filled region has no ref.planes for the lengths of the re-bar
I think you need to add some ref.planes for the 2 Instance lengths and set them to Strong Ref. You should then be able to Tab to the shapoe handles that way.