PDA

View Full Version : Visibility of wall materials in plan vs. course, fine, med.

3dway
2008-07-21, 12:33 PM
Is there a way to control the visibility of the wall lines in plan beyond course, fine, medium; or to control which show at which detail level?

We like to show face of framing and exterior face of cladding only for our residential projects. We don't show the interior finish line (gypsum board) nor do we show anything in between the outside face of framing and face of cladding. We find in, in residential, the only people that care about the dimensions are the foundation contrator and the framer. Everyone else can estimate from the framing dimensions and their work on site depends on how the foundation and framing went before they arrive. ...but I digress.

By changing the c/m/f/ setting I can only get outside finished faces, or all lines of every material.

My question again becomes, is this a wishlist item to be able to specify which "layers" (excuse the possible mixing of terminology) of the wall show from the wall editor?

Hopefully someone has a workaround or a method for this that isn't obvious from the help material.

Thanks,

Andre Carvalho
2008-07-21, 01:56 PM
You can try to play with the "Override Host Layers" function under the visibility/graphics settings, to try to control each wall layer function independently, but I'm not sure if you can achieve exactly what you are looking for.

Andre Carvalho

3dway
2008-07-21, 02:17 PM
Can I use this to get my windows and in place families to - not override host graphics?

Andre Carvalho
2008-07-21, 02:34 PM
Can I use this to get my windows and in place families to - not override host graphics?

I'm not sure if I understand what do you mean by windows and in place families not overriding host graphics, but you can only apply the "Override Host Layers" function I mentioned before to walls, floors, roofs and ceilings...

Andre Carvalho

cstanley
2008-08-05, 09:04 PM
this is too bad...
We, too, desperately need this functionality. We would like to show the brick on stud as two separate materials for exterior walls, but we just want to see interior walls as they would appear in coarse level, i.e. no gyp layers showing. it would appear that medium would be a good place to do this, but it doesn't readily seem possible...

wmullett
2008-08-06, 05:06 PM
cstanley ... why not show fine mode and define your interior walls as onlty one element? They would then not have any interior linework.

cstanley
2008-08-07, 02:23 PM
it's a tough dilemma. while more "enlightened" users could get it, the green ones wouldn't... drilling down further, the crux of our problem has to do with complicated numerous wall joins that don't like to clean up efficiently, coupled with some users who insist on working in fine level detail, 1/8" scale, and thin lines showing. every little thing thing is amplified. driving me nuts... some don't want to be convinced.

maybe it's just a bad week...

greg.mcdowell
2008-08-07, 04:48 PM
That thin lines thing drives me nuts too. I wish I could disable it completely.

The way I see it, if you can't see the lines (with correct lineweights) well enough to understand what you're doing then neither will the Contractor... call it out.

Another thing you try is to set the view to course and build your exterior walls with two walls instead of one.