PDA

View Full Version : Space Tags (modified)

sschwartz85916
2008-07-21, 09:28 PM
I had this idea to make the Space Tag easier to update on plan. I have attached a visual, that basically explains its purpose.

Problem: We place a space with a space tag that automatically reads the room names and numbers, but updating the actual space names is a hassle. Trying to keep track of what has been named and what hasn't without going through the schedule view...

So I added two more tags to the space tag family, so, yes, there are 5 lines of text, but... the space name and number can be changed on plan to either match the room names/numbers or call it something else.

See attachment. Comments/suggestions/improvements (like how would I go about making the space name and number either not print, or not show when printed) are certainly welcome

:beer:

sec-k
2008-08-05, 08:49 PM
It seems like modifying the Space names and numbers to match the room names and numers would be easier in a Schedule view since you could have a side by side comparison (see attached). Not saying your way is "wrong" but a schedule would allow you to quickly compare the two without panning around in a plan view. Just my $0.02.

As far as not plotting those parameters, all I can think of is creating two famly types within the Space tag family. One that just shows Room (or Space) name and number (Space Tag 1) and one that shows your modified parameters (Space Tag 2). When you are ready to plot, select a Space tag, select all instances, and change them all to (Space Tag 1) or whatever you name it.

Or Autodesk can add a "no plot" parameter in MEP 2010 ;)

sschwartz85916
2008-08-05, 08:52 PM
It seems like modifying the Space names and numbers to match the room names and numers would be easier in a Schedule view since you could have a side by side comparison (see attached). Not saying your way is "wrong" but a schedule would allow you to quickly compare the two without panning around in a plan view. Just my $0.02.

As far as not plotting those parameters, all I can think of is creating two famly types within the Space tag family. One that just shows Room (or Space) name and number (Space Tag 1) and one that shows your modified parameters (Space Tag 2). When you are ready to plot, select a Space tag, select all instances, and change them all to (Space Tag 1) or whatever you name it.

Or Autodesk can add a "no plot" parameter in MEP 2010 ;)

Schedule is a good idea. I just couldn't figure it out... :beer:

Better yet, have a "transpolator" command that would match if you wanted it to? I understand that in some instances you wouldn't want every single one the same, in that case, you could also have the option to lock in names... perhaps 2011?

sec-k
2008-08-05, 08:53 PM
(attachment)

sschwartz85916
2008-08-05, 08:55 PM
(attachment)

oooOOOOooohhh.... :mrgreen: Thanks!

mwiggins121466
2008-08-06, 02:11 PM
too bad we can't get the room name/number on the panel schedule

sschwartz85916
2008-08-08, 08:55 PM
too bad we can't get the room name/number on the panel schedule

Yea... well... if you rename ALL the spaces to the same name and number you can... (Yea, I know you probably know that.) Either way you have to manually enter all of the information...