PDA

View Full Version : Can you edit reference planes?

bnelson.188587
2008-07-22, 04:41 PM
I created a sloped roof and beam/joist system using reference planes. I got one end of my reference plane slightly off. I need to lower one end only. The reference planes are what I attached my structural system to so I could get them to slope correctly (1/4"/ft). Is there any way to move one end of the plane so that it's correct? If not, can someone direct me on the best way to change this? I already have my whole structure in place and would rather not re-do all of it, but if that's the simplest way then I will. Thanks!

Andre Carvalho
2008-07-22, 05:12 PM
You can select the reference plane and rotate it to match the new slope. When rotating you can move the rotation center to be where the reference plane end point is right, so the other extremity will be rotated. If your structure is attached to that reference plane, they should follow the new slope once it is rotated.

Andre Carvalho

bnelson.188587
2008-07-22, 06:04 PM
That sounded like a good, simple fix, but it didn't work. I have two parallel planes that I want to move together and I was unable to rotate both at the same time. So I tried to rotate just the top one and it appeared to work until I noticed that my joist on the left side of my drawing had somehow moved to the right and now there were two on top of each other.
Also, I actually tried to redraw the whole thing in the structural tab, but when I'm in the sketch mode, select work plane, the plane that I want isn't in the drop down menu, in fact 1/2 of them are missing from there.
I'm a newbie to all of this so perhaps I've got something really messed up somewhere along the way. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Andre Carvalho
2008-07-22, 06:25 PM
First, make sure you have named the reference planes you are trying to rotate. When you give name to reference planes, it is easier to make sure objects are hosted by the planes. If they move for any reason, it is easy to select objects later and Rehost them to the work plane just by selecting the reference plane name from the pull down list.

Also, rotating both at the same time can be complicated because of the center of rotation. Probably you will have to rotate one and later rotate the second one.

Andre Carvalho