PDA

View Full Version : Line based family

troy.crandell635379
2008-07-22, 07:58 PM
I've tried to find a thread that covers this question, but I can't seem to find one. My question is if I create a line based family and the shape of said family is round, like a round duct, how can I get it to miter at the corners? The family seems to be working great except where I turn a corner. Ideally I'd like to be able to make any angle I want and have the corners clean up automatically. Any help is appreciated.

twiceroadsfool
2008-07-22, 08:16 PM
You will have to build in the different end conditions in the family, and then use a series of visibility parameters to control which one is on/off.

Build the round object turning 30/45/60/90/whatever and then have a series or parameters in the family:

end 1 30
end 1 60
end 1 90

end 2 30
end 2 60
end 2 90

etc...

Or, you a symbol at the ends of each piece, and dimension the angles, and detail those typical joint conditions in another view, aside from the family...

Andre Carvalho
2008-07-22, 08:23 PM
Or (I never tried that, just an idea...) you could create voids at the ends of the sweep that would cut the ends out. The voids would be created using reference lines controlling the angle of the cut. This would be an instance parameter to be able to cut each piece separately with different angles if needed.

Andre Carvalho

archjake
2008-07-22, 09:10 PM
There are a ton of ways to do this. I just whiped this one up with voids. The miters are variable. I did just notice that the line based family is finicky as to how or where it wants to be placed. Hopefully this will help you develop your own. The void that I created on the end side seems to be a smarter solution with regard to the shape of the void.

troy.crandell635379
2008-07-22, 09:52 PM
Thanks fellas, I'll give it a try.