PDA

View Full Version : roof issue

ntnik
2008-07-22, 11:05 PM
how do i extend the back of my long ridge roof to cut off the end of my taller steeper roof joining from the left?.....i realized i was going to have this condition but cant figure out how to do it in the model (split the long ((lower)) roof)............?

Jun Austria
2008-07-23, 01:10 AM
how do i extend the back of my long ridge roof to cut off the end of my taller steeper roof joining from the left?.....i realized i was going to have this condition but cant figure out how to do it in the model (split the long ((lower)) roof)............?

Looking at the image. I'n my opinion, this is a bad design. I suggest you introduced another roof beam level for that roof on the left. Meaning lower down the roof without changing the slope.

Firmso
2008-07-23, 01:11 AM
Would you not prefer to lower the high roof's ridge to level with the long-ridge roof , or, make it lower than ? just a thought.

Gadget Man
2008-07-23, 05:42 AM
The way I would try to model it is to create a separate roof (as you did) for the highest ridge roof but finish it with a hip running into the lower roof.

Make the higher roof long enough (by trial and error if you need) to make its hip coincide with the outer slope of the other (perpendicular) roof, so both roofs "blend together".

To clean the junction, I don't usually use "Join/Unjoin Roof" tool but "Join Geometry" and then, using "Roof Opening" tool, remove unwanted portions from both roofs.

And don't worry about changing the design, as sometimes this is simply not an option...

ford347
2008-07-23, 07:26 AM
I've done this a couple of diff. ways before, but I've attached a sample file of a way I find pretty easy to do in your situation.
Create your larger span roof or higher roof using your perpedicular roofs ridge as a defining slope line. Offset this line individually in sketch mode(select sketch line and click 'properties') the height of your perpendicular ridge, less the thickness of your roof above your roofs reference level. Then finish. Then simply use the join roof tool to join this edge to the face of your perpendicular roof.
The downside here is that if you change something on the building, you may have to adjust the offset of that single line, but a minor annoyance to get the job anyway.
Hope this helps.
Josh

clog boy
2008-07-23, 10:42 AM
I would try to lower the left roof as well, or make both long roofs as one. Remember: if something's hard to do in Revit it will probably also be hard (and expensive) to construct in real life. A design should not be more complicated than required for it's function, but I understand why some architects would disagree.