PDA

View Full Version : 2009_WU1- Reload family with nested/shared family crashes program

twiceroadsfool
2008-07-24, 05:44 PM
Ive got a family (F2), that has a nested and Shared family (F1) within it.

I can place it in a project successfully. I then had to edit the family, and edit the nested/shared family. So i edited F1, and loaded it in to F2. I then loaded F2 in to my project. I get the message about a version of F1 already being loaded in the project, and it asks which one to use (project or family). I select Family, and hit Okay.... It grinds for about 3 seconds, then Fatal Errors.

So far its done it in a couple of projects, and my only recourse is to delete the instances, purge the family (both F1 and F2) from the model, THEN reload the new version.

Can anyone confirm this problem? Or is it just our machines?

Scott Womack
2008-07-24, 06:55 PM

I can place it in a project successfully. I then had to edit the family, and edit the nested/shared family. So i edited F1, and loaded it in to F2. I then loaded F2 in to my project. I get the message about a version of F1 already being loaded in the project, and it asks which one to use (project or family). I select Family, and hit Okay.... It grinds for about 3 seconds, then Fatal Errors.

So far its done it in a couple of projects, and my only recourse is to delete the instances, purge the family (both F1 and F2) from the model, THEN reload the new version.

Can anyone confirm this problem? Or is it just our machines? I believe it has something to do with your family. I have a number of door families that have a nested door panel in them. Someone purged the project, thereby "eliminating the door panel family, although it is nested, it got purged. After I reloaded the nested family, then everything went back to normal. How weird, I don't remeber this behavior in 2008.

ron.sanpedro
2008-07-24, 07:32 PM

Can anyone confirm this problem? Or is it just our machines?

I have seen and posted with the same problem. Seems like a rather nasty bug to me. The more expedient (and also much more ugly) solution was to rename one of the nested and shared families, breaking all usefulness in nesting, but at least avoiding the crash.

Another thing that has worked sometimes is to load the revised nested family into the project directly. If it is both nested and shared in all families, it should update in all of them without a crash. I say should cause it doesn't always seem to work, but worth a try perhaps.

And some comment from the Factory on what causes this would be helpful, as I have tried to recreate in isolated Generic Model families with no luck. But build some useful doors or windows and they blow up. Aii!

Gordon