PDA

View Full Version : Roof Problems

mattcummins
2008-07-25, 04:52 PM
On this roof with dormers, I cannot get the dormers to join to the main roof. Also, I cannot get the dormer opening tool to work (circular reference). Also, I changed the shape of the roof by adding an opening. How could I adjust or delete the opening? Is that the best way to change the shape? Please help, rapidly losing hair! I have attached the file.

Thanks,
Matt

patricks
2008-07-25, 06:08 PM
On the dormer roofs, edit them and remove the angled lines where you tried to manually make the roof join to the main roof. Then draw a straight vertical line to create a rectangle, and drag that new line to the right away from the main roof a bit. Finish, and then select that rear edge of the dormer roof and attach to the face of the main roof.

As for the dormer opening, I have no idea why it won't let you pick the wall faces. It wouldn't let me do it either.

For the openings at the roof edge, you need to hit the Tab key until the opening boundary highlights. Then you can delete it. As for using that method to modify the roof shape, that's up to you. If you do it that way, your bearing height on that side will be higher. However, you could probably sketch that same shape in the roof sketch mode, and just define your outer-most lines as slope-defining, and you'll end up with the same result.

mattcummins
2008-07-25, 07:57 PM
Thanks Patrick, once I joined them correctly, like you said, then the dormer opening worked great!
Matt

ford347
2008-07-25, 08:35 PM
I attached your file so you could see the changes and play around with them. I did what 'patricks' said. Deleted the 45deg lines in your dormer roof sketch, closed with a non-slope defining line, creating a rectangle, finished sketch, then used the roof join tool to join to the main roof.

I am not having the problems you guys describe here with the opening though. I'm guessing the problem you may be having is that the front wall was not attached at the base to the main roof and your side walls were drew way long. I trimmed the side walls to the dormers back to intersect the main roof, attached the front dormer wall's base to the main roof, then created a dormer opening, using the wall faces and the dormer roofs lines as boundaries and it worked fine for me.

I left the left dormer alone, just showing an unjoined roof, but modified sketch lines and the other dormer complete just so you can see the beginning steps and the finished steps.

Hope this helps!

Josh

ford347
2008-07-25, 08:36 PM
Sorry if the last post seemed redundant, you posted as I was posting. Good times anyway!:lol:

patricks
2008-07-25, 11:03 PM
The bottoms of the walls have to be attached to the main roof to make a dormer opening? That's a new one on me, I'm pretty sure I've created dormer openings in the past with the walls coming up from the roof bearing level.

ford347
2008-07-25, 11:09 PM
I'm pretty sure I've created dormer openings in the past with the walls coming up from the roof bearing level.

Yep, absolutly right. Just opened it back up and detached and successfully created the opening. That's just the only thing I could think of that could have been different when I tried it earlier since you had both said you had problems. ?? Got me? Thanks for the check anyway.

Josh

patricks
2008-07-28, 12:45 PM
Oh wait, I was picking the dormer roof as the roof to cut by a dormer opening instead of picking the main roof!

duhhhhhhhhh :roll: :p

veronica.lamb
2008-07-31, 07:19 AM
Any thoughts as to why a dormer opening won't work on this dormer?
Thanks! - V

**Edit**
Now I see that it works if the walls are picked also... was it always like this? I thought in 2008 i could create dormer openings without walls.

patricks
2008-07-31, 06:58 PM
No, you have to pick objects to define dormer opening boundaries.

In your example, you have the dormer walls' bottoms attached to the main roof. When picking the walls for the boundary lines of the dormer opening, make sure that the line is on the inside face of the wall, so that there will still be some of the main roof left for the dormer walls to attach to.

You can still create it by picking the outside wall faces, but you will get an error about objects missing their targets, and the walls will no longer be attached to the main roof.