PDA

View Full Version : Issue with Pads (what a surprise)

patricks
2008-07-25, 05:33 PM
I'm working on a building renovation, in which the building is elevated several feet above the surrounding grade. Right now I have several topo lines running through the building that I don't want to see.

The problem is that I forgot to create a pad on the existing toposurface before I started my new graded region toposurface. Now I can't seem to get a pad to "stick" to the existing toposurface.

When I create a toposurface, either in an existing or new site plan view, it always goes above the new toposurface, even if the pad is shown as created in the Existing phase and the toposurface is created in the New phase. So I can get the new topo lines under the building to go away (with the pad), but I can't seem to get rid of the existing (demolished) topo lines.

Any ideas?

benmay
2008-07-26, 10:23 AM
I am guessing you have already checked your phase display settings, you can obviously show the demolished contours but they should come up as dashed or something depending on your phase display settings?

Graded regions seem to always have problems for me, I find it easier sometimes to just demolish the entire topo, and grade in AutoCAD and create a new surface from my AutoCAD file.

I have had similar problems with trying to create a pad after I have graded the surface somewhere else.

Not sure if any of that is of any help, but site tools seem to be very difficult to get consistent results

patricks
2008-07-28, 12:38 PM
Well yeah my demolished surface shows as dashed lines, but they're running all throughout my building.

The problem is I can't get a pad to associate with the existing demolished surface, even if I create the pad in the Existing phase.

Alex Page
2009-11-10, 08:51 PM
IM having the same problem here - (R2009)

Two Phases - Existing and New
Two topographies - Existing and new

If I create a pad in the existing phase it only cuts the new topography in the new phase. The properties of the pad still state it is in the existing phase...were stuffed

iankids
2009-11-11, 12:28 AM
I have had similar problems in the past and have stopped using pads as a result.

I lieu of pad I use the split region and associated tools

I create a toposurface in the existing phase and then copy it to exactly the same location in the new construction phase. In the new construction phase I then hide the existing toposurface from all new or complete views and do the required modeling on the toposurface created in the new phase.

Jerry has a sensational tutorial on the subject at: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=63962&highlight=hate+pads&page=2

I have no crossover problems using this method. At times, if I get it all out of wack, I simply delete the new toposurfuce and copy the existing to start from scratch. A small price to pay (IMO) for never having to deal with pads again.

Cheers,

Ian

Alex Page
2009-11-11, 02:56 AM
And they work with your cut and fill schedules?

iankids
2009-11-11, 03:12 AM
And they work with your cut and fill schedules?

Not totally sure Alex.

The areas around which I normally works are quite flat and as it is usually quite minor, I haven't as yet needed to schedule the cut and fill.

I have just done a quick toposurface, the cut schedules correctly, I will need to go a check the fill.

It might be worth dropping Jerry a quick PM to ask. I am sure he will be certain one way or the other.

Ian

scowsert
2009-11-12, 12:23 AM
Try pasting your existing topo into a new project, put your pad in then paste it back into your real project. I've had that work for me before.