PDA

View Full Version : locking alignment of symbolic lines in window family

k.nichols
2008-07-25, 08:31 PM
Hello Revit Folks,

I'm new to the forum and revit is new to me.

I'm creating a window family and following the training tutorial to add sash operability lines using symbolic lines.

When I create the symbolic lines I see two lock options, that appear to connect to the reference lines I placed at horiz. and vert. centers of the window sash, so I locked them.

When I flex the window height I find out the end point at the center isn't locked to that reference line. The top end point flexes with the window height, like I want it to.

I've checked the help menu and read the training instructions over and over, can't figure this one out.

Any suggestions? I appreciate it!

Katie

ws
2008-07-26, 02:53 PM
Welcome Katie,

I think it works now as attached.

I'm spending a lot of time myself on this sort of problem so it was interesting to give it a go.

All I did was click one of the lines and drag the lower end down to the intersection with the mid-height reference plane and frame line, an open padlock appeared which I locked.
I did the same for the other line but no open padlock appeared for that line when snapped to the intersection of the mid-height reference and the other symbolic line - but it seems to work.

Oops you may not be able to open the attachment as I noticed it upgraded when I opened it in 2009 wu1.

d.stairmand
2008-07-27, 05:16 AM
Katie
Generaly when i am building up my Families - i Untick the "Chain" Option. This allows me to draw a line, then the Lock Symbols are still highlighted, go and lock them up - then dreaw another line.

k.nichols
2008-07-28, 02:38 PM
Thank you, I'm glad to find this community. Hope to have something useful to contribute as I learn more.

After flexing the window height again, and moving the symbolic line ends back to the horizontal ref. line and locking, they seem to be locked now and shifting properly with adjustments to window height.

It could be that when I drew the lines originally, I thought I had locked them to the horizontal ref. plane, but instead locked to the intersecting vertical plane.

Anyhow, adjusting the lines and locking after flexing took care of the problem, like you suggested William.

Thanks to you and Duane for replying to my post.

Katie