PDA

View Full Version : Legend Components - Curtain Wall Doors

saeborne
2008-07-28, 01:30 PM
Hi all,

Is there anyway to make a Legend Component of a Curtain Wall Door, where the "Host Length" Parameter does not affect both the height and width.

If I want to show a door that is 3' wide and 8' high in the legend component, I can't seem to make it work. It's either 3'x3' or 8'x8'. Anyone know any nifty tricks in this matter?

Thanks,

Bryan

pfaudler
2008-07-28, 01:45 PM
Well,
To my knowledge, the best way is to have either 2D family just for legends or insert elevation view symbol in front of that door in model/plan view and adjust elevation view boundary in that elevation. You can then insert that elevation (just showing that curtain door) directly into drawing sheet.

curtain walling is a bit trciky to handle. We normally model our curtain panles as a single 3D family like storefront. so that you can use them in legends as well.

i hope that helps

rahul

phyllisr
2008-07-29, 06:10 AM
Personally, I am not a fan of drawing lines in legend views though sometimes, I realize there is no choice. I could indulge in a rant about all the problems with Revit legends. Save for another time. For your immediate problem, perhaps a "mini-cheat" might work for you.

Generally, our curtain wall doors have a "companion" regular door - not by design but rather by accident as we keep making families. So even if the curtain wall door is FG (or F or whatever), we can use a regular door in the legend. Since in reality, a door is a door is a door in the field and anyone looking at the legend will have no clue how you made it, this saves time drawing lines. Attached clip is an FG-Dbl-Hnge family that is a "real" door used in a legend. Happens to be identical to an FG-Dbl-Hnge family we have created for a curtain wall door. Kill two birds with one stone...

ejburrell67787
2008-07-29, 09:16 AM
Clever work around there Phyllisr! :p

pfaudler
2008-07-29, 09:26 AM
Yup! clever workaround. You can use another standard door family just for legends.

saeborne
2008-07-29, 01:10 PM
Personally, I am not a fan of drawing lines in legend views though sometimes, I realize there is no choice. I could indulge in a rant about all the problems with Revit legends. Save fot another time. For your immediate problem, perhaps a "mini-cheat" might work for you.

Generally, our curtain wall doors have a "companion" regular door - not by design but rather by accident as we keep making families. So even if the curtain wall door is FG (or F or whatever), we can use a regular door in the legend. Since in reality, a door is a door is a door in the field and anyone looking at the legend will have no clue how you made it, this saves time drawing lines. Attached clip is an FG-Dbl-Hnge family that is a "real" door used in a legend. Happens to be identical to an FG-Dbl-Hnge family we have created for a curtain wall door. Kill two birds with one stone...

That is nifty. You're absolutely right. I do have regular doors that mirror most of my CW doors.

Thanks for the tip, Phyllis.