PDA

View Full Version : IS IT POSSIBLE TO SAVE A DRAFTING VIEW TO AN "EXISTING" FILE?

RafeRedmond
2008-07-29, 05:35 PM
I am creating a Revit template, and I am saving several drafting views to a single file for future reference. I cannot seem to find a way to add views to an existing file that already contains multiple drafting views.

Does anyone know if it is possible to "Save to an existing file"? Please help!

THANKS!

REVIT ARCH. 2008

Matt Brennan
2008-07-29, 05:43 PM
You can save a drafting view to file in which you can import it into another revit file by going to the "file" menu and selecting "insert from file" and then select "views".

Was this what you were looking for?

sfaust
2008-07-29, 05:48 PM
you don't even have to go that far, just open the existing file and do the insert from file->views...

RafeRedmond
2008-07-29, 06:06 PM
Yes, Matthew, that is what I am doing...and I understand how to insert views from a file. However, what I would like to be able to do is have in a backup folder, for example, all of my "Accessibility details". Then, a week later, if I add another accessibility detail to the collection, I want to simply add this new view to the existing "Accessibility Details" file instead of creating a whole new file just for this one view. Basically, what I am after is better folder management of my Revit backup files.

rmejia
2008-07-29, 06:17 PM
I have a revit project file that has tons of details all saved in different drafting views within that one project file (a Detail Project). I am not sure if this is what you are after? Whenever I want to add a new detail, I just go to the View menu, then click "Drafting View" to create a new view, set the scale, then copy paste the new detail, or insert it.

A Detail Project (for stairs in this example) like the file attached:
* the stair detail project is part of a file downloadable from AUGI, I think it is in the family forum.

terilw
2008-07-29, 06:21 PM
With "Accessibility Details" open, use the Insert from File to add your new detail. You can insert views at any time and from any other file.

RafeRedmond
2008-07-29, 06:37 PM
Thanks! That is so simple...such is the essence of Revit (once you understand it)