PDA

View Full Version : Improve text

mike.vroegindeweij
2008-07-31, 11:02 AM
Improve Text: To use subscript and superscript in text notes and parameters.

m20roxxers
2008-07-31, 11:29 PM
Use the character Map in windows

jkuhnle154184
2008-08-01, 07:10 PM
I agree with Mike. The AutoCAD text editor is great. Why can't Autodesk just do the same thing with Revit. Auto numbering, symbols, bullets, etc. are all easy with AutoCAD.

m20roxxers
2008-08-02, 05:26 AM
I agree there should be improvements, but tags and annotation symbols can solve alot of these types of issues. Text should only be used for one off notes, other then that I think families solve these issues.

Simple renumbering macros solve these issues with text, But there should be some more options in terms of what you can control with Revit probably not the same as AutoCAD but definately bringing over some of the better qualities would help.

jkuhnle154184
2008-08-04, 12:40 PM
All of our drawings have an entire sheet that is nothing but notes. These are numbered lists and they were very easy to create and edit in AutoCAD. Here's a list of what I wished Revit text could do:

-autonumbering. AutoCAD or MSWord will recognize you are making a numbered list and indent appropriately at every line below the number. Even if you strech the width of the text it will maintain the proper indentation. Also, when you delete a number it renumbers the whole list.

-symbols. Degree, squared, cubed, diameter, etc. These should be right there under a dropdown list to select from

-different fonts within the same text box.

-find and replace tool

-stacked fractions

Please tell me if there is a way to do these things and I'm missing it.

captjim
2008-08-04, 01:13 PM
Strongly agree.

Superscript and subscript are a must - character map is not a solution since not all characters are represented. Custom fonts with supersctipt and subscript is not a solution since files must be transferrable and often have client-driven font requirements.

Heirarchical text structures with bullets and numbered/lettered lists are also a must. This is a basic part of construction documents and hey, what else are we doing?

Improvements in text alignment capabilities would be most helpful, let us align with any line of text rather than just the first one. Give us the ability to snap to the correctly spaced location of the next paragraph.

Give us the ability to turn off the "feature" that readjusts the right margin of a paragraph based on how closely we are zoomed in while editing (what the heck is THAT all about), and give us a hard right margin that text will reliably wrap at.

Revit text is only adaquate when compared to a Commodore 64.

dpalmer.160951
2008-08-12, 02:13 PM
I agree as well.
What we ended up doing because improved text was a must for our project, was we created an outside AutoCAD .dwg file that we had linked into our model.

It isn't ideal, but it worked EXCELLENT.

rhector
2008-08-13, 09:48 PM
JKUHNLE:
You could always do these text pages in CAD and then File--> Link -->CAD Formats them into your drawing somewhere, then set them up on an empty page.

I know it's not ideal, but it's faster than using the Revit text editor. The only catch is that you have to remember to manually reload the CAD file to get any changes.

I think this is better than doing the text in word because you don't have to PDF, then re-link the file if you need to make a change.

Hope this helps,
-r

Mr Greg
2008-08-21, 07:40 PM
How about even the basic Auto Stacking of fractions. Yes, yes Character map. But it only has a few fractions. And how about adding a few more Justification settings. Left, Center, and Right just don't do it for me. I could use a Middle/Center. And how about some type of snap to the justification instead of just hap-hazardly throwing the text any old place.

mgrauer
2008-09-09, 06:35 AM
I agree, we need this for general sheets and if you have to paste U.L. details.

How about columns and tables- giving you the ability to copy/paste a word document while maintaining the correct format.

Also, multi-line text that allows you to control the line spacing- Currently, I see no way to control the spacing between lines of text. (this would help with room tags).

The ability to assign a line weight to text - giving you more flexibility than just normal and bold.

Also, the ability to have a non-printable text for office notations.