PDA

View Full Version : Shrinkwrap in Revit?

hhouen167446
2008-07-31, 01:45 PM
Is it possible to shrinkwrap components in Revit? Seems like it is possible in other Autodesk programs, but I cant fin it in Revit.

I am testing out the .stl export plugin to Revit, and it looks promising.
A true shrinkwrap function would be nice to simplify 3D objects.

Regards, Hauk

sbrown
2008-07-31, 03:37 PM
Its not possible, we have wrestled with this on trying to print to zcorp printers. I haven't tried the new exporter, are you saying it doesn't make the model printable. I think you are right that we need a shrink wrap tool.

Phil Read
2008-07-31, 11:14 PM
I think the new STL exporter tool is fairly robust. You may need to print the model at a large enough scale to translate well as an object. Or do some post production in the printing software. I'm not convinced it's a good presentation model creation tool. But I think it's a very fine design communication tool.

What's particularly useful is the way the STL exported respects the Section Box in Revit. Nice touch ADSK.

Anyway - here's an example of a recent print.

Pity the poor soul that would try to document this in CAD. ;)

Regards -

Phil

seandburke
2008-08-01, 12:24 AM
Nice one Phil. What service did you use to print the model?

kreed
2008-09-03, 03:31 PM
What did you all do about toposurfaces? Did you print them for these models? We're testing out a printing service right now and the images they sent back have a single plane for the site model. We were hoping to show the building in the site, but it doesn't seem to have a solid base when we export it.

BTW we're having to use 2008 and convert to DWG to bring it in to 3DS to get the STL. Round about way because the file is too large to upgrade to 2009.

Scott D Davis
2008-09-03, 03:52 PM
... the file is too large to upgrade to 2009.

Submit a support request and the Factory can upgrade it.