PDA

View Full Version : Design Options...

MNsnowtaTy
2008-07-31, 02:03 PM
I'm setting up design options for a building and it's alternate. I have a 5" Generic Concrete Floor in the building that is set up as one floor system for the whole wing. However, in my building alternate I need to delete part of that floor where the part of the building is gone in the alternate. Same thing with the roof of the buidling wing.

How do I go about doing this so I am only getting rid of part of a floor and not the whole floor? Or part of the roof cut back to where the alternate doesn't have the other part of the building?

BMcCallum
2008-07-31, 02:36 PM
Make a design option set with two design options. Name the design options appropriately. From your description they could be called Building and Alternate. Copy the objects to both design options and you'll be able to modify the Alternate option while leaving the Building option intact.

Using design options, modify the Alternate option to suit the proposed design. Leave the Building option alone so you can return to it at any time.

When an option seems to be the preferred one, make that option primary. When a decision is made to proceed with one option and abandon the others, make that option the primary, accept the primary option and your secondary options will be removed.

I usually suggest archiving the project just before accepting a primary option. This will give you a way to get back the objects in the option.

Hope this helps!

MNsnowtaTy
2008-07-31, 08:34 PM
Ok I got my option set done with an option called Classroom Addition Plan and then my option as Classroom Addition Plan Alternate. So now how do I got about bringing stuff into these options sets so that I have one option which has the extra classroom, and the other option which is minus a classroom?

At the moment I think I have one 5" Generic Concrete Floor for the whole Addition, but when I want to take out the floor in the area where the classroom is being taken out for the alternate, how do I go about that?

Thanks for the start though!

MNsnowtaTy
2008-08-01, 02:33 PM
How do you go about copying all the stuff in the model to these Design Options you set up? I pick a design option and everything is greyed out, then what do I do? Also am I supposed to Create different plan views for each of these Design Options that I do?

Andre Carvalho
2008-08-01, 02:52 PM
How do you go about copying all the stuff in the model to these Design Options you set up? I pick a design option and everything is greyed out, then what do I do? Also am I supposed to Create different plan views for each of these Design Options that I do?

When you select "Edit Option" and select the option you want to edit, all elements that aren't part of that option will be grayed out. You can't select them. To do so, don't select "Edit Option" (so the elements are all black and you are able to pick them), select the elements and you will notice an icon with a green + on it. Click there and you can mark / unmark to which design options the selected elements will be part. Once it is done, you can only edit these elements if selecting "Edit Options" and the proper design option you want to edit.

Andre Carvalho

MNsnowtaTy
2008-08-01, 08:01 PM
Ok...I got it all to work like I had wanted now. Is it possible to setup both my views on 2 different sheets so that I can switch to the sheets and see my primary and switch to another sheet and see my alternate option?

MNsnowtaTy
2008-08-01, 08:09 PM
Nevermind I got it figured out!

Thanks for all the help...something new to me that I understand now!

Andre Carvalho
2008-08-01, 08:10 PM
Sure. Actually you first have to duplicate your view and set one to show, let's say Option 1 and the other view to show Option 2.

To do that, after duplicating the views, go to Visibility/Graphics Override > Design options tab > set it to show the design option you want for that specific view. (or set it by going to view properties > Visible in option > set the option you want.)

After that, just drag your views to the sheet(s).

Andre Carvalho