PDA

View Full Version : Optional Connectors?

bearden383
2008-08-01, 03:50 PM
I'm making a furnace family that needs to have the option of having the return air and other connectors on either side of the furnace. That way If I put the furnace against the wall I can come in with the return air from the opposite side.

Do I have to make a separate right and left version or can I put the right and left connectors on the family and only connect to the side I want?

Does Revit want the connectors to be connected for everything to be happy?

sec-k
2008-08-05, 10:05 PM
I am curious about this also. Another example... a surface mounted grille could be on a vertical or horizontal surface. Currently I have two separate families, one for a vertical face and one for a horizontal face. Is there any way to create one family with both "options"?

dmb.100468
2008-08-07, 12:35 PM
If your family is Face Hosted, you will have the option to place it on any 3D face, vertical or horizontal so NO you don't need a separate family for each.

As for the connectors, if you have multiple connectors on a family you will have multiple options for creating systems. In other words, if you create a system for one of the connectors the other one will remain part of the Default System (unassigned) in the system browser. This really isn't a problem unless you have lots of these in a project.
(File performance improves when all connections are part of a system). So you don't need a different family for each connection option, your furnace will just always have an unassigned connector.