PDA

View Full Version : Symbolic Lines in Wall-hosted Family

sthedens
2008-08-04, 02:41 PM
I created a geneic wall hosted shelf family that has a mounting height of 6'-0" above the reference level. I don't want the extrusion to show in Plan view as it has too much detail at 1/8" scale. So I drew a rectangular symbolic line so it would represent in Plan view. I loaded the family into a Project and inserted the shelf Component in a Plan view. My Plan view cut plane is the default 4'-0". However, the object will not display unless I change the View Range cut plane to be at 6'-0" or above.

I created the exact same family as generic non-hosted and the symbolic lines display regardless of my cut plane elevation.

Why do the symbolic lines behave differently in the two different families?

Scott Womack
2008-08-04, 04:39 PM
I created a geneic wall hosted shelf family that has a mounting height of 6'-0" above the reference level. I don't want the extrusion to show in Plan view as it has too much detail at 1/8" scale. So I drew a rectangular symbolic line so it would represent in Plan view. I loaded the family into a Project and inserted the shelf Component in a Plan view. My Plan view cut plane is the default 4'-0". However, the object will not display unless I change the View Range cut plane to be at 6'-0" or above.

I created the exact same family as generic non-hosted and the symbolic lines display regardless of my cut plane elevation.

Why do the symbolic lines behave differently in the two different families?

The wall hosted becomes aware of "height" in relation to the cut plane, due to the wall it is attached to. Fix is to draw an invisible model line vertically in an elevation, from the reference plane at the bottom, and to the height of the shelf, with both ends locked to the appropriate planes. This invisible line will be cut by the cut-plane, and will cause the symbolic lines to appear in your plans.