PDA

View Full Version : Tapered roofs and slabs

jmaurer
2008-08-07, 04:58 PM
Has anyone found a way to accurately taper a roof or floor? I've been able to use the point editing method to taper one layer within an assembly, but not several layers like I need. For example, drawing a flat roof with with tapered insulation, I want to have a flat metal deck, tapered rigid insulation, and a waterproof membrane that sits on top. The closest I've been able to get is to have the rigid insulation tapered but it doesn't seem to affect the membrane. Realistically, the membrane should match the pitch of the insulation, since it sits on top and would be fastened or glued to that sloping surface. Any help would be appreciated.

greg.mcdowell
2008-08-07, 05:04 PM
Are all these elements in one family? I know this works. The lowest layer that needs to be varied should be checked and you should be aware of how modifying these sub-elements affects the thickness of the material - they're measured vertically, not perpendicularly to the slope.

jmaurer
2008-08-07, 05:37 PM
I'm not sure if you mean "family", since my roof or floor assembly isn't loaded from an *.rfa file. I do have the roof (or floor) system as one type. I've attached a screenshot of the makeup for this roof.

mitch.cornelius
2008-08-07, 05:42 PM
It looks to me like you need to make the membrane layer variable also, that way when you edit the surface the two variable layers move, but not the structure.

jmaurer
2008-08-07, 05:51 PM
Oops...never mind. I was being dumb and just realized it was really a lineweight problem. Thanks for the help anyways.

greg.mcdowell
2008-08-07, 05:52 PM
You can only make one layer vary. Any layers above will vary also.

By Family I meant System Family. Just making sure you weren't using multiple roof objects.

What you show in your screenshot should work. It does for me. Maybe it has something to do with that issue I referred to where the thickness of the material isn't maintained as we might prefer? If you make the membrane layer really thick (like 6") just as a test, what happens? I know when I first had the membrane layer set thin I didn't see it since my profile lines where thicker than the offset.