PDA

View Full Version : Mirror project?

snurresprett9
2008-08-10, 03:52 PM
Does the new "mirror project" command work, and does it work well? I have a large project that needs to be mirrored. I'm on 2008 right now, but will upgrade just for the "mirror project" command, but as Revit is getting clumsyer at every new release, I am concerned this new command doesnt work(well).

dbaldacchino
2008-08-10, 06:21 PM
Not perfect, but does get you very close and will save you tons of time. I'd definitely go for it.

snurresprett9
2008-08-10, 06:44 PM
Ok, sounds good.

Matt Brennan
2008-08-11, 03:58 PM
I find a lot of sections (especially in elevation) need to be cleaned up as far as the tag goes but otherwise as mentioned it is a great tool.

jyoungner
2008-08-13, 01:37 PM
Has anyone tried to mirror the project on the north/south axis and the east/west axis? I get the same result no matter which one I choose!

Steve Mintz
2008-08-14, 05:10 AM
Be careful mirroring a project. Everything will be mirrored (shocking, isn't it? :))

But take a step back and think about that. If you have a sink, it will be mirrored too. Which means the 'hot' and 'cold' will switch sides...

I don't discourage the use of the new mirror command, but take some time and make sure to think through all the implications.

DoTheBIM
2008-08-14, 01:05 PM
Be careful mirroring a project. Everything will be mirrored (shocking, isn't it? :))

But take a step back and think about that. If you have a sink, it will be mirrored too. Which means the 'hot' and 'cold' will switch sides...

I don't discourage the use of the new mirror command, but take some time and make sure to think through all the implications.

Yes, very important point. If anything in your project tracks lefts and rights... either graphically or text/schedule wise, you'll have to revisit those objects to get them set right after the mirror. After we mirror a project we have to revisit cabinets, tubs, doors, casement windows, etc. and flip the objects, and/or set a property that identifies handedness.

Always make a copy prior to the mirror on the off chance you don't get even close to the results you desire.

dbaldacchino
2008-08-14, 01:46 PM
I'd say we need options in families to decide how a family behaves when a user mirrors it. There are cases where you don't want that to happen, as in your above example. So if this property is enabled ("Disable Mirroring" or somehting like that, which would be unchecked by default), then when a family is mirrored about an axis, it would just cause it to move to a new location but retain its original orientation.

twiceroadsfool
2008-08-14, 04:04 PM
I'd say we need options in families to decide how a family behaves when a user mirrors it. There are cases where you don't want that to happen, as in your above example. So if this property is enabled ("Disable Mirroring" or somehting like that, which would be unchecked by default), then when a family is mirrored about an axis, it would just cause it to move to a new location but retain its original orientation.

Spot on, and thats huge IMHO...